Changing depth/location: how long to wait?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by dburkhead, May 9, 2009.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here's a question. One suggestion I've seen is trying to find the depth at which the fish are biting. How long should one leave the line out there before reeling in to either try casting to a different spot or setting for a different depth (or trying a different bait)? When I was a kid, the "standard" method (among folk I knew) was to simply put the baited hook out there and wait. A fish would bite or not. When I started getting involved in "outdoorsy" stuff again last year, I found that there was a lot more involved than I ever knew. (I suppose part of that could be that there's more pressure on the fish these days so one has to work harder to get them.)

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David try different areas. Use something like bread, coffee grounds, and etc for attractant. Keep searching you will find them.

3. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's not quite what I was asking.

I've been trying a certain spot, at a certain depth, using a certain bait. Five minutes? Ten minutes? An hour? All day? How long before it's time to say "okay, time to try something else (change bait, change depth, cast to a different area, move on to another spot, forget this fishing hole and try another, whatever)"?

While I recognize that there's probably no hard and fast rule--"if you haven't gotten a bite in 4 minutes 32 seconds, move on"--but I'm just trying to get a general idea whether we're talking a few seconds, a few minutes, half an hour, or what.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will work one specific area for about 30 min..About every five minutes I'll change the depth or try a different technique,but if I don't catch any thing in 30 minutes I'm gone find another spot..

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Throw out a redworm or a smaller nightcrawler hooked once on a small hook and let it sink. Probe the structure for 5 minutes and if you don't get anything, move. The falling, weightless worm is a deadly tool.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    David ,
    Blue gill fishing is one of the easest fish to catch either there or not. 5 min will tell u if there if not move . When I start fishing for them the norm is around 18 to 24" and then go from there. The free floating worm is a very good way to fish them. Good luck