Changes in South Carolina & Georgia hog hunting.

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by peewee williams, Feb 21, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Any one out there that still hunts and catches hogs with dogs?This was called "Hog Hunting",when I was young.Hunting hogs with a firearm was called"Killing Hogs",and was used to eliminate hogs,when a pest.People did not kill hogs for sport then.Before the fence laws were passed,it was called "stealing hogs",as ALL the loose hogs belonged to someone.(They still belong to the landowner in Ga.)People caught them,cut the "tushes"(as the tusk were called)neutered,wormed,pened them up and "flushed them out"as they called feeding for a month,or more.They then sold or butchered them.Wild hogs taste like what they have been eating.Dead cows,dead fish,ect.make for bad tasting hogs.A grown boar has a very strong taste also.In areas,wild hogs fed daily on dead and rotting fish along the shores of Lake Marion.The hogs of the coastal islands have a much prized taste of thier own.If you killed a hog,you built a small fire,cut a chunk of meat off the hog,and threw it into the fire.The smell would soon let you know,if it was fit to eat.The meat will taste like the smell from that fire.People will tell you all kinds of ways to eliminate the taste of a grown boar.Not one ever worked for me.peewee-williams

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Peewee, when I was in high school we used to do the same thing you did. We would put dogs on them and follow until they bayed, the dogs would grab the hog by the ears, and we would grab a hind leg and tie their feet. Then take 'em out of the swamp where we hunted (once they left free-range high ground and went into santee swamp, they were considered feral). We'd pen them up on corn for several weeks, then they were ready to butcher when we were. The corn feed would work most of the strong taste out of the them, except for those big boars; they weren't good for much more than sausage.
    Sometimes those hogs would double back and run back by you in those canebreaks so close you could smell them, but it would be so thick in there, you wouldn't even see them go by, you just pointed a shotgun down the trail you happened to be standing in and hoped he wasn't coming toward you on the same trail. Those 'tushes' could really rip a dog open every now and again.

3. oldman

oldman New Member

DOWN HERE IN SOUTH TEXAS WE HUNT THEM WITH DOGS. THE DOGS ARE PLOTTS,BLACK MOUTH CURS AND AIREDALExPIT BULLS FOR CATCH DOGS. WE DONT SHOOT EM WE STICK EM. THE BIG OLD BOARS WE USE FOR DOG FOOD. THE SMALLER ONES WE BUTCHER, I'M NOT ABLE TO RUN WITH THE DOGS I JUST LISTEN. MY SON AND A FRIEND DOES THE KILLING. SOME OF THE BIG ONES WONT STOP SOME TIMES THEY RUN EM 5 TO 6 MILES. MOST OF THE SMALLER ONES UNDER 100 LBS THEY CATCH QUICK. THEY MAKE GOOD SAUSAGE AND BAR-B-Q. THE DOO GOODERS ARE TRYING TO STOP HUNTING WITH DOGS. THEY REALLY RUIN THE PEANUT FIELDS,CORN FIELDS THERE IS A LOT OF TRUCK GARDENS HERE AND THEY TEAR THEM UP THEY LIKE MELLONS AND TOMATOES AND ALL KINDS OF VEGGIES ALSO HICKORY NUTS.PECANS,MESQUITE BEANS AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY CAN FIND NOTHING IS TABOO TO A HOG. THEY WILL TEAR UP FENCES. DOWN HERE THEY ARE PESTS. OPEN SEASON YEAR ROUND. ITS FUN BUT TIRING ON US OLD FOLKS.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I know in the county I work in every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday everyone loads the dogs up and goes out to catch some hogs. Last week one old boys dogs were able to bay and catch a 375lbs boar, it cost him 1 bay dog and 1 catch dog. The only downside to the hogs w/ dogs is usually during the summer once the kiddos get out of school we usually will get quite a few calls for either criminal mischief or trespassing were the kids have cut the ranchers fence lines to gain access to hunt hogs or have taken atvs on the properties and tore up crops. We have a problem with them disrespecting the ranchers or land owners properties. For the most part its just a small group that is doing it. The ironic thing is that if the kids or group would just take the time to talk to the land owner there wouldn't be a problem with them hunting the ranch land instead of cutting fences and hunting w/out permission.