Change of plans

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 5, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Up early this morning and ready to go out the door at 6:15 when the phone rang.
    Seems as if the wind was kicking up a fuss down the hill so had to put the planed event on hold.
    I figured that I was up and ready to go so I went, Up the hill instead of down. I thought I would go give Pyramid another go and see if I could catch a schoolie striper.
    I drove up to the lake and looking out the window I decided that maybe it was too cold with the wind blowing vehicles off the highway. (see photos)
    Yes, that's snow on the ground around the lake. I said to myself Brrrr, I ain't getting out in that so I just kept driving on up the 5 to The Buena Vista Lakes.
    I had never been there and the lie sheet said that there was a good bite on large trout and the catfish were stirring a little.
    When I got there I found out the Day use fee is $6.00 per vehicle and fishing is an additional $6.00 per person, not bad for a days fishing.
    Once inside I found out I wasn't the only one out today, not crowded but a few people giving it a go. Wind wasn't too bad about 10mph all day, a little on the cool side but not bad, at least the sun was shining.
    I found a spot to fish and put out a line with cut mackerel and another one with power bait. I fished the lake from 8:30am 'til 4:45pm and I think the storm front that blew through yesterday Gave the fish lockjaw 'cause I never got a bite. I did see a couple of fish that were caught and they were good sized trout 3-6 lbs but I didn't get a Hint of a bite. I'll have to go back and try again soon.

Attached Files:

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom it felt like it was cold enough here to keep snow on the ground....I'm glad you got out of town and went fishing..... The catching was slow??? did you go all the way to the place where the water come in???? way on up to the culvert area? Did you try a float to keep the PB up off the bottom?

I was just fishing here at home... finished up three pole holders for the rails on the houseboat.... "original design... not from BOC library"

glad you made it back over the "Grape"

bayrunner ray

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah Ray, I fished at the inlet. Very slow water, flow bait was floating no problem, water was coming in through the side gate about 100' from the end. I don't know if that is normal but no water was flowing through the end gate. One person fishing right in the inflow caught a trout about 3lbs,I tried tossing a yellow Rooster Tail and a small Kastmaster into the water flow for a while but got no strikes.

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey Gang were changing plans for this week end. Since we are not going to pull a boat, I with all the good company that we should have, Me, Tom and Robb, Were going a little further than planned...

Well start with picking up Robb and spend the First night looking into the James Place, and or Mendota, and mabe a cannal or two to boot.

The following day, we will head down hill to the stockton area, checking out various bank fishing spots as we head to the northern parts of the stockon delta area. Since my RV get 20 miles to the gallon (in mexican overdrive) ,and with a good tail wind we should do ok getting to the Sloughs north of Town. We may even head out to Rio Vista to check out Vierras and the action that we can scrape up...

We are doing this because we are celebrating MLK day the best way for BOC members to do so...."Fishing"

We will have plenty of pictures to show, and I will personally instruct those people in attendance with a domonstraion of Photoshop and its abilities while having nothing better to do.

Trout sucks.. were going for cats....

bayrunner ray

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sounds like a good plan to me:cool2: i got my lil gigi cam ready to zap some pics:wink:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali

Right on Ray! I need to learn some puter stuff:big_smile:

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Tom
    I thought that mud hole in one of those pictures looked like Buena Vista Lake. I still have not been out fishing sense I seen you last . the paper hear in Taft says that they have been catching some trout up to Ten and Twelve pounds out of their. Hey I should get my jeep back to gather today, Then I can start back to fishing.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good to hear it Phil, now get out there and find where the fish are biting and give me a shout. I need to learn more about fishing that duct.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom, I thought that depending on our time leaving the fresno/delta area that we might stop at BV for a quick stop and check out what is left over from the long weekend....

See Ya tonight about 9pm,, lets move the departure time up 30 minutes, I'll leave here at 8:30 and see you in just short of 9:00. Im sure that the airport traffic and other "out of towners" will give us room to get out in the "fast lane"

later, Bayrunner ray..

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom, just checked the weather report, Stockton will be 10 degrees warmer with a high in the 50, but at Fresno, the highs will be 40, and the low at a high 28.... might have to put my cervesas in the RV to keep em warm.....

bayrunner ray

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    yeah I saw that, it's going to be chilly this weekend all right. Looks like a little snow up the hill last night. Supposed to be 12* at quail lake tonight.
    A stop at Buena Vista is fine with me. Remember, I don't have to be back until I get back. Your the one on a schedule, so whatever you think is fine with me.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ray, it been cold here:eek:oooh: Last night it ngot down to 25 last night and it will be colder tonight. Man, 10 degress is warm when it is 20:smile2: Bring the cervesa, you will need it. :big_smile:

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray and Robb, I have breakfast covered. I just finished vacuum sealing the burritos. I have 3 chorizo and 6 bean, bacon and egg. If you want salsa on your burrito you can bring it but I usualy don't use it for breakfast.
    I also picked up 2 lbs of ceviche' and some tostada shells so we have one lunch. Got to go pack my bag now.
    I can hardly wait.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Tom....you went and done it:tounge_out: You made me hungry and I just had lunch:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: