Change is taking place...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 5gallonsofsafety, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 5gallonsofsafety

5gallonsofsafety New Member

State:
    illinois
    Change is taking place at certain spots of the river we fish. some trees have already fallen into the water but i beleive that during the season this year many more will fall. this made me think if alot of remodeling is gonna be takin place new tactics may already be in order. Sangamon is not a deep or wide river however it is fairly long im worried that a 4 ton tree is gonna scare the hell out of them. my question is: Should we change our style of attack? should we move to more open water or just sit right in there with all the falling trees?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Sounds to me like Mother Nature is creating an ideal Flathead fishin spot for ya...FISH IT!;)

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes fish it! fish those kitty-condo's!:D

4. 5gallonsofsafety

State:
    illinois
    what im tryin to find out is if the time during which these trees are falling wouldnt a tree that fell on thursday effect the spots on saturday? and if so how much?

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I think the only problem you would have is if it fell while you were there, one falling on thursday gives cats a whole day and a night to move back in. Good Luck..:)

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If you have that many trees falling in your fishing spot you might want to consider adding a hardhat to your fishing equipment! lol:0a23:

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Safety, man come on! I told you we would be okay. Seriously I like the fact that the tree fell in.... I don't like the fact that it fell in on the side that 5 gallon fishes.

8. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    Yea fish where the falling trees are , I have a good spot on the GMR where theres a hole about 20 ft deep , and last year a tree fell there at the upstream side of that hole , I caught a few nice flats there, just waiting till the grandaddy comes and takes over

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Nick it sounds to me like you competition this year...LOL Fish the downstream side of those logs 5gallon..:)

10. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Thats my fishing partner right there.:) My only competition are the people who come through a few times a year in a canoe taking 20#+ fish out of the water.....

11. 5gallonsofsafety

State:
    illinois
    competition? i love it... however the camera loved the sangamoncat more then me last year... this could be my year although i think a hardhat aint a bad idea for the supply list, 1 thing getting off the list is wiskey so i might just pay attention when they hit...

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I would be up in the middle of the new stuff myself. bigboy will be there shortly.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Fish the trees. But not on a windy day.
    Bill:)

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Well Ken, a word of advice..LOL....don't listen to your fishin partner.;) ..he is the competition:rolleyes: ...we won't tell ya wrong like he would to get an edge..LOL...Good Luck in 2006 you guys!

15. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I ain't sure a hardhat would help just keep one eye on the line and one on the trees be prepared to moved

16. 5gallonsofsafety

State:
    illinois
    my dad had one come close to falling on him last year it fell way back in the woods (right across the road out) but no one was hurt little spooked he heard it moving and breaking limbs for a while b4 it fell he couldnt get a lock on it useing a flashlight he was scanning for somesort of animal he never saw one so continued fishin later the sound continued so he put his light up to the treetops and then they saw it it was caught up in many other trees and was breakin its way threw he said it was loud as hell when it landed no one was hurt but everyone got a little spooked

17. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    pray for those trees to enter that hole,great spot for flats,the cover is a perfect place to those big cats

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    if there is trees falling into your fishing hole, heck ya keep fishing it. That will be flathead paradise this summer

19. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As far as trees falling in the river, I would say most of the time it is a good thing. Big cats love wood. My home river (the Pecatonica) is always littered with snags. However, you can have too much of a good thing. I've always had more success fishing logjams and snags when there's about 2-3 really good snags per river mile. Anything beyond that becomes counterproductive as it spreads out the fish a lot more. Instead of having 20-30 fish living around one big jam, you'll have 2-3 fish spread on each of the trees in the river. Over the past 10 years or so, extensive logging has been done on the river, with the tops being left right in the river. This has caused quite a bit of havoc: made it tougher to find paths to run the boat through, and created a massive logjam all the way across the river that took my dad and I the better part of a week to clear. Also, it spread the fish out more, making pole fishing much tougher.