Champlain catfish are a'scared of me?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by devlyn76, Aug 7, 2006.

1. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Hi folks

I live in Vermont, and fish the VT side of Lake Champlain. Sine there 'aint a VT category here, and Champlain is in both states anyway, well, here I am.

I've spent four long nights fishing Champlain. Tried Benson Landing, Singing Cedars and another spot couple miles south of the bridge on route 125 to NY. Not a damn thing other than bluegill and a couple bullheads.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be the weeds? I'm casting from the bank, and can't seem to get past the thick weedbeds. Has anyone else been catching in these areas? Any suggested spots, even on the NY side (north of South Bay)?

The guys who are regulars in these spots have been saying their luck has dropped off too. They haven't gotten a cat since right before the LCI fishing tournament. And they're out on the lake almost every night for several hours.

Hopefully I can actually get a catfish, then I can feel like a real member of the BOC. Kinda hafta catch at least one to be considered a 'catfisherman' I think...

Thanks,
    -ben

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ben.you have the main ingredient.PERSISTENCE!Keep it up.You have the right stuff.peewee-williams

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't give up,keep trying and one day you'll have a stringer of cats! pk powell:smile2:

4. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Cool, thanks folks. As long as there's a chance I'm in a decent spot, then back I go :big_smile:

Let's hope my next post looks something like "Hey I caught X catfish which weighed X lbs!"

-ben

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ben,
    Good luck with those yankee cats. At least you have catfish living near you. I grew up in RI, and had to settle for black bullheads.

Only thing I can think of is to look for someplace where the bottom drops off real sharp so the deep water is close to shore, that way there won't be so many weeds. Other thing is I've heard those cats in the lake like some current, so If there's some current coming between a couple of islands or undre a bridge - even if it's wind driven current - tha might help.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Ben, I could show you some good catfishing in the champlain canal. the only proplem is youd have to have a N. Y. lic., and i dont know how far you would have to drive. I fish the canal between Fort Ann and south bay. Dont give up Ben thier out thier.

7. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Excellent, I may take you up on the offer. Distance 'aint bad, I'm right over the NY border in North Bennington. Probably take an hour an a half to two going to South Bay. Queensbury is about 1.5 hr. if I go through Troy.

I'm free after the 21st this month, so lemme know.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ben, just send me a private message, and wll work it out. I was at south bay yesterday, and caught four small channels. Today i fished the canal at fort ann and caught one nice 7 lb. channel.

9. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Do you go off the bank or from a boat? I have a few friends who want to go, which should be no problem if you go from shore. If from a boat, well, too many people I imagine.

-ben

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hot dog Splitshot you got you a new partner. Now this is a prime example of what the BOC is all about. People helping each other out and finding new fishing partners. I wish both of you good luck on your future outings.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    No proplem Ben, i fish from the bank,so bring all you want. Just let me know when your able to go. Ill send you a pm tomorrow and let you know what my schedule is. The fishing has been slow, hopefully it will pick up. You need to let me know how many are going so i can decide where will fish.

12. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Ben the fishing should pick up now thru Sept. we have been getting more fish in the past couple of weeks I fish from a boat not from shore but it should get better from both. What are you using for bait. If the blugills are biting your bait is not big enough. Good luck

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    hang in the bro sooner or later a hungry cat will swim by:lol:

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Ben, My son and i went to south bay tonight. Just got home around 1:30am,had a few bites on chicken liver, they acted like they just werent interested. Got no bites at all on the cut bait. Hopefully the fishing will pick up soon. Might try the canal tomorrow.