Champaign/Rantoul spots?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by M_anstrom, May 9, 2008.

1. M_anstrom

M_anstrom New Member

State:
    Moody Air Force
    I've been itchin' to fish this season. Thing is since I moved down here I've yet to find any spots... Though it would be cool I think a trip to morraine view state park would be a bit of a drive.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i believe that from where you are clinton lake would be the best choice. Lake of the woods in mahomet isnt bad, either.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Last time I was in Rantoul I was at Chanute AFB. That was many moons ago. LOL!

4. M_anstrom

M_anstrom New Member

State:
    Moody Air Force
    yea, My dad's family came here when my grandpa was stationed here and stayed since.
    I'm originally from the pontiac area and my mom and I went fishing all the time (from the age of 5 up to my 16th B-day, a little bit before she lost her battle to cancer). This'll be the first season I've fished since she passed away 2 years ago so some of my equipment is collecting a bit of dust. My dad is mainly a hunter and refuses to hunt or fish anywhere besides wisconsin so I'm clueless to the local cat spots...
    I was talking to some of the local farm kids about good spots and they all had private spots that they use, but didn't extend me an invitation...lol

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Mykal, i know there are alot of folks that ride over to Clinton from the area you are speaking, Used to love wading the vermilion catching channel cat and smallies all day long. Used to walk/wade from the low-head dam to the I-55 bridge, then catch a ride back into town from someone at the Sportsman's Club, LOL. Good Luck to ya

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Mykal, you have Lake Vermilion over near Danville. It has some good channel cat fishing. Also there is several strip mine lakes and ponds at Kickapoo State Park located close to Oakwood and Danville. Their are a few shallow rivers in the area that hold good channel cat populations like the Middlefork and Salt Fork rivers in that same area. These are all about 30 miles from Rantoul but the Middlefork river runs about 8-10 miles east of Rantoul down by Potomac and then to Danville.

7. mrbscott19

mrbscott19 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldn't go to Heritage lake(Lake on Chanute) in Rantoul if you keep your fish. They have signs up all over that the area is an environmental area of concern. High mercury levels in the fish have also been detected. In the spring its a great place to catch a big bass, but I've never seen any big cats come out of there and have seen a number of them that were sick looking and diseased. All were taken on chicken liver. I live on the base and I don't even go there anymore. In about a month or 2 it will be almost unfishable due to the weeds that cover the entire lake top to bottom.

Since the lake has been opened up to the public its has gone downhill fast. The big bass population was destroyed very quickly due to people catching their limit of 4-5 lb bass and keeping them all, which in turn made the bluegill population explode. If you ever go out there, just get on one of the bridges and spit into the water, doesn't matter which bridge. Literally hundreds of bluegill come up after it. It's a really sad sight to see because that lake was once a big bass haven. It would be common to catch 5-6 4 lb and above bass a day along with lots of little ones. Now you're lucky to catch anything over 2 lbs, including catfish.

Long Pond in Kickapoo is a good place and so is Lake Mingo right down the road from Kickapoo in Kennecuk cove. You can stay all night at Long Pond but you have to be off Lake Mingo by 10:30 every night. I've caught some really good channel cats in both places.

8. roadkill79

roadkill79 New Member

State:
    IL
    couple of big cats were pulled out of Clinton Lake over the past two weeks...one was 55 pounder, and i think the other was 33lbs

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    clinton....lot's of good fish there

10. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    i grew up fishing the saltfork in the st. joe area, and we used to catch a bunch of channles with chicken liver but that was a few years ago