Chairs and Love seat. Adirondack Chair

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by ShilohRed, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well I have 1 of the love seats and 2 of the Adirondack Chair's to build for a Benefit for our daughter in law. She has cancer, Looks like they will get it taken care of. She has been thought a lot of treatments and now surgery.
    Also will build 2 more sets of the Adirondack Chair's for Christmas gifts for our daughter and daughter in law.
    Building them out of 5/4 Decking boards cost a little more. But there build heavy and last. Every edge is rounded over with a round over bit. And all the screws will be hid using a pocket hole screw jig.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/woodworking/catfish-51804018.jpg

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I see you still have my chairs out there in your yard. I would reconize those pines anywhere.
    Pete on a serious note I hope the best for her. I know how nasty life can get after going through all that.
    Oh BTW if you two still want that stick of bolognia Tell the bride that I have the info to the person that get it brought to franklin for her.

3. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Nice lookin set, you did good.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Shoot Willard you would be upset if I built you a set and just charged what I have in the lumber and screws. LOL The price on these almost made my cry when I priced the lumber..
    I will let Marilyn know about the Dog..
    PEte

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pete, that is some fine quality wood working right there. They sure do look good the way you build them without the screws showing. Way to go buddy.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey Pete I know how pricey that wood can get. But to get quality work a man has to have a good product to work with.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Now willard if you would like a set. Just come on over and buy the supplys and we will build them for Donna. :big_smile:
    Of you may know a man that know's a man that has some 5/4x 6" x8 ft docking boards. Only takes around 45 to 50 of them. Depends on how many bad knots show up.
    The you know were we can get the screw here. LOL
    I hope to build 2 sets of the chairs out of cedar for the girls.

Paw Jim thanks. But I still wish I was 1/10 as good as you are.
    Pete

8. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Those chairs look great. I never thought of using a pocket hole jig for the ones I have been planning on making for about a year now. I was planning on using dowels, but I think you changed my mind. Also, great idea on using 5/4 lumber.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

The 5/4 decking boards work great. But I let mine dry out . Then joint one flat side and edge, Then run them through the planer. That cleans them up. And makes them look so good.
    I built a set out of 1x4's they just do not look as good as the ones out of the decking boards. Also there heavy and wind does not move them at all.
    Using the pocket hole jig and screws does take more time. But theres no holes that you can see unless you turn it upside down or look under it.
    Also holds good.
    Have a lady that is trying to talk me into building her the 4 piece set, But just hate to tell her the price on it. After figuring the price of lumber, Screws and wear on tools and blades. Then electric. The 4 pieces would cost her $ 700 bucks. But guess I will tell her and see what she does..
    It takes me at least 2 weeks to build the 4 pieces, AS I can't work much more then an hour or so. Then have to stop.
    Also the last set I used the electric bill was up $55 by its self. And we have had 3 raises on it from then to now.
    I hope that price is not way to high. But I guess if she won't then she will pay it.
    Can you say more toys.. I mean fishing gear.
    Pete

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good job. My grand father used to make those. I came close to being born in one of the chairs. LOL He also made Uncle Sam mail box holders for the rural mail boxes. Had wooden ornaments all over the yard. It does take time and money. Thanks.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Pete
    I know how you feel! I make a tile inlay ed coffee table. If I use pine its about $80 for the wood and about $10 for 12x12 tiles. That doest include the glue screws and finish, and about 40 hrs to build. My neighbor wanted 1 and had a fit when I told her $200.

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have been making kids furniture for quite a few years now. And I found out a long time ago, that there is only one real way for me to make any money on this furniture.

Do NOT buy from a conventional retailer. In order for me to make anything except for the things that I can make from recycled pallets (I make a lot of things from free wood) I had to buy a planer. This allowed me to buy rough lumber and be able to save money. I still buy the occasional boards from a lumberyard, but most of it comes from elsewhere.

3 years ago, I went to an auction. There was rough lumber everywhere. All of it was in piles primarily sorted by species. I found a pile of cherry I really wanted, it was about 2' high 4' deep and 6' to 8' boards. This stack of boards went for way more than I was willing to pay. Luckily, since I do a lot of glue ups, I also looked at several other piles. I ended up buying 3 piles of lumber each stack approxiamately 4' high by 4' deep with 8' or longer lengths. Most all of this wood was black walnut. I paid $25 dollars for this lumber. This allows me to make things for people that they can afford. Since the lumber I bought isn't select lumber, I do have a bit of waste. Even if I end up throwing half of it away after taking out the boards I can get, I am still better off.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is the way most people think. And that is the reason I have decided to charge what its worth. If they buy its fine, If not its still fine. I try to build some for auctions for benefits and that is about it. That way it brings what ever they get. But if I build it for a person. They will pay it of not get it. Its not like I have $$ to throw away. And that is what I am doing if I did them at the cost of the lumber.

Ketch
    I have a 15' planer, 8" jointer, 12 and 15" miter saw, 16" Radial arm saw, 10 Table saw and a 3 HP Dust collector. And if I figured in the price of new blades for each jog. I would sure be in the hole.
    15" planer blades are $120. last a good while. But still have to space the price out over the jobs.
    8 jointer blades are $49
    Average blade for the other three will Run $65. Then a 10 dollar shaping price when dull.
    Then electric and wear and tear on the equipment. So if I figure all that in even with free wood, I am still going to have to charge more then just my cost.
    So even at free wood. Your time is worth something. For a few years I did this for nothing. Price each piece if I was lucky for $30 more then the wood. But I found out it was cutting into way to much fishing Cash that way.
    But I do enjoy building stuff.
    Also like a buddy of mine on here. Even a Rough carpenter will charge way more then $20 per hour and not near as much invested in tools.
    Pete

14. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When I stated I made money on the things I did, I should have said I got slightly more than what it cost me to make. I could never get my time figured into a price and be able to sell anything. Trying to make something good takes time.

I do most all of my woodworking in the winter months, which is about 6 months some years here in MN. So I don't have to sacrifice catfishing time. I also love doing it, so it keeps me from wishing I lived somewhere warmer.:big_smile:

15. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I also save some money by doing woodworking. I have horses and they use quite a bit of bedding material for when we have them stalled or when we trailer them. All my planing I do (except the walnut since this is supposed to be toxic to horses) creates quite a bit of bedding that I don't have to buy. Also, since I use wood that gets cut down so much, I end up with a lot of small wood pieces that I burn and don't have to buy firewood, or waste time cutting my own.

It's probably not worth it in the end, since the planer does take a lot of juice, and like you said blades cost a fortune. But, since I am doing the woodworking anyways, its a nice bonus.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I also have a wood heater. Love it and also the ideal that just about all the scrap gets turned into heat. That is unless its treated stuff. then Its dumped. But even when I have both of my big bags full on the DC, I can't even give it away to people with horses. They think it full of small dust. Not true, Most is just like they go and buy.
    I just pour it off the hill side behind the house. And let it turn into compost.

If I could handle it, There a Pallet factory here that gets in cant's anything bigger then 6x6 there band saw will not cut. And they stack them up. I keep thinking about building me a small band mill and using the front end loader or the trachhoe to load the cant's on it. and hire some one to stack the boards that come off. If I had someone that lived near me that would help. I sure would do that and build the solar kiln and get my lumber a a great price.
    Do you ever get lucky and get any of the big pallets from over sea's? There pallets are made from lumber that would cost us an arm and both legs here. And its like our pine..
    Also here in West Tn I can fish 365 day per year. My boats never get put up over the winter. Guess I am lucky there.
    Pete

17. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Occasionally I get some of thos heavy overseas crates from a friend of mine. A few years ago I worked at a place that got steel shot in 55 gallon drums. Although the pallets were smaller in size, they were made of oak!!!!

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice work!