Chains On Anchors

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Apr 14, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Didn't know where to put this so here goes.Some of you all talk about having chains fastened to you anchors.What I what to know is how long of a chain do you use and what size of chain is it?
    Also what size rope do you normally use?I want to try and redo neighbor anchoring system and I need some serious input on this. I don't like the way he has it rigged up. Thanks in advance.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The purpose of the chain is to provide a weight just above the anchor to cause it to drag more parallel to the bottom, rather than lifting off the bottom at an angle. Therefore, a shorter length of heavy chain will work just as well as a longer, lighter length of chain.

Another neat trick when rigging your anchor is to rig it so you can temporarily abandon it if you need to go chase a big fish downstream. It involves three things: one, use some type of quick disconnecting method of tying your anchor rope to your boat; two, keep all your unused anchor rope neatly coiled next to the quick disconnect, and use a piece of cord to tie it up so when you toss it in the water, it doesn't all come loose; three, attach a large detergent jug to the coil to keep it floating. If you hook a big fish that takes off downriver, you can simply disconnect the anchor rope from your boat and toss the excess rope & jug over the side. Later, you can easily motor back up to the jug to re-connect the anchor rope. (If you don't tie your excess rope into a neat little package, it will string out downcurrent, and very possibly wrap around your prop when you return.)

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What type of anchor? 1/4" chain should be big enough, length depends on style of anchor.

I use a braided 3/8'" line from Home Depot, 10 to 11 bucks for a 100'.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, Check out the library, couple of good anchors there.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Harbor Freight Tools has 100' of 3/8" braided line for less than $6.00; they usually have 500' or 600' spools of 1/4" twisted poly rope for less than $10.00, and it's very handy for all kinds of stuff.