Chain of rocks to St.Louis

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by 1 catbuster, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Anyone been fishing below Chain of rocks was thinking of going anyone have any tips for bait spots

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    That big Wing dike below the chain of rocks you should find plenty of bait behind there... Or you can check the sand flats on the Mo. side.... hope this help and good luck

3. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    Hey thar old Willie, ain't that my fishing hole right off that sand flat?:roll_eyes:

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Nah, Mrs Okie I wouldnt give out your fishing spot for free....lol:wink::smile2:

5. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Thank you Willie I'm going to try to find some fish in that hole Monday. I was told it was a better fishery than Mel price to chain of rocks if so I can't wait that stretch has been good to me

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    It is indeed a good spot to fish.. I caught my share there.. I saw some very good fish caught there as well.. Let us know how it go, Im heading over there one day this week to see if the skipjacks are on the move.. Last year for about a month straight we tore em up, then they left and havent been back since... I might stick a rod out there as well... good luck

7. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    Willie, I got to pick your brain on catching skipjack. I boughtt some of those doodads with all the little hooks on em today.

8. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    This should be good....entertainment at it's best...:smile2: :smile2: :smile2: you need to get him to tell you about some of them cattin spots that he has been holding out on...:sad2: :sad2:

9. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I got into a mess of skips the last few times i was at Mel price kinda small but all 5 to 6 in now. I all ways post bait on Mel price to chain of rock thread, and also on the bait section. Last Thursday had a bunch of moon eye 12 to 16 in from up there

10. sikeston34m

sikeston34m New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi Guys,

I've been looking at fishing below the Chain of Rock Bridge. Where's a good spot to put in at?

It's really a good looking spot! I smell fish there. LOL

11. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Down at the arch on my way shortly:wink:

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Welcomw aboard James... Your best bet to fish the C.O.R Bridge is to put in at columbia bottoms and hit it that way... No locking thru and you'll be there in 20min give or take.. I think its like 3 or 4 miles down the Mo. River and make a hard right on the Miss. river... You should be able to see the Bridge when you come outta the Mo. river... hope this help ya, and good luck

13. sikeston34m

sikeston34m New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you!

That was my first post here. I've been reading on this forum for hours and hours since discovering it. Very good information! Thanks to you all.

I've been an avid fisherman for years, but am still learning.

PB to date was a 17lb Blue, but I'm itching to beat that. I have taken a number of 10+ pounders from the lakes in the surrounding area totalling a few hundred pounds of good table fare.

In my reading here, I get the impression the fishing north of the Chain of Rocks is good too. I'm really curious about south of the Chain of Rocks though.

There's something about the rapids and the increased oxygen level in the water, plus the fact it's a natural "roadblock" for fish swimming against the current.

No Barge Traffic is very appealing to me too. The Mississippi is a force that must be respected.

I'm a little uneasy about putting the boat in the river at the Arch area.

Being from Sikeston, crime here isn't that bad. I don't like the thought of being broken into.

14. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Fished from chain of rocks to St.Louis today bait very little. bite just a few. fish not a one. and lost my best cast net. will i try again heck ya you don't think I'm going to let the fish get the best of me. great day for a boat ride. Today was the first time i have run that far and man i loved that cast net LOL guess it was time to replace her

15. sikeston34m

sikeston34m New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know how deep the water is just downstream from the Rocks across the river?

16. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    The water varies side to side 7 to 35 feet and really choppy

17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

Funny you should say that.... One of our guys OLD PB was 17lbs.. He went out Saturday and whacked a 61lber.. I think he's still smiling from ear to ear

18. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    wow allot of rod and reel personal best beet Saturday hear is another one getting released don't know what it weighs [old scale only went to thirty] have a new one now good to 112 pounds

Attached Files: