Chain of Rocks Snagging trip

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Made it down to Chain of Rocks around noon today. It was cold and windy so I broke out the thermals, bibs, and the whole nine yards.

I landed four spoonbills, 3 short and 1 barely over 24", two little bigheads about 1 pound that I killed and threw on the bank, and then a bunch of little shad and channel cats. Also, had one drum about 4 pounds.

Nobody else was catching much of anything. I seen one other guy catch a spoonbill and that was it. Theres so much brush and logs floating on the water right now that its hard to snag anything but brush.

It was a fun trip, even with crappy weather that was thrown at me. Heck it was even snowing so hard for about 5 minutes you couldn't hardly see.

:big_smile: Tight lines

2. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    effective april 1st snagging was suppose to cease on chain of rocks...where there several people there still snaggin?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seth thanks for the update. At least you were able to get out.Glad you snagged a few.:lol: :big_smile:

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Yea there was atleast half a dozen others snagging. Where does it say you can't snag down there after April 1st?

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I haven't seen anything posted there or in the papers around here.. I only live 8 miles from there..

6. firefighteremtb78

State:
    IL
    The fishing digest says it in there. Im not sure the real reason behind it.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

I just downloaded and checked the fishing digest for Illinois and I could not find anywhere on there that said that snagging wasn't allowed after April 1st at Chain of Rocks.

I checked every section that involved snagging or the word paddlefish too.

Also, are there any big paddlefish ever caught at Chain of Rocks? The biggest I heard anybody talk about was a 56 pounder that his buddy caught there. I know here in Missouri on some of the resevoirs, we have caught them 80+ pounds. Every year there are 100+ pounders pulled out too.

8. firefighteremtb78

State:
    IL

(2) Snagging for fish is permitted from
    September 15 through December 15 and from
    March 15 through May 15 within a 300 yard
    downstream limit below all locks and dams of
    the Mississippi RIver between Illinois and the
    Missouri, except for Dam 27 at the Chain of
    Rocks.

And the front of the book says its effective April 1st 2007

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/digest.pdf

Page 5 middle of the page where #2 starts...

I didnt want to start an uproar i just said what I read ​

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    It is saying that your supposed to snag 300 feet below all lock and dams, EXCEPT Chain of Rocks, which you can snag directly below the rocks.

Thats just how I took it anyways. What do you others take it as?

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ok that does it!!! im gonna go catch me a spoonbill.heard they are very good eating. at the chain of rocks what is the best time of day to snag them? or does it even matter. Im tired of snagging bigheads. need something new.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I caught mine between noon and 5pm on Friday when it was really cold and windy. The were in the slack water just below that big barrel.

Good luck if you go. Those are some of the smallest spoonbill I've ever caught in my life lol.:lol:

12. firefighteremtb78

State:
    IL
    I will call the game warden today to verify. If you go through the other posts about chain of rocks which most got deleted for some reason im not the only on who brought it up

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have heard the snagging is technically not allowed. However I was told it will be allowed on a somewhat trial basis. If people clean up anter themselves and don't get high and drunk, then it will continue to be allowed. If the people act like a pack of animals and leave the area a mess, then the snagging will not be allowed.

14. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Last year I seen a 80 pounder caught there. As far as this year I have not been there all that much. I have a buddy that snags there at least a few times a week and he said its been kinda slow so far but it should get better. I have seen them catch them all day long so I don/t think the time of day matters but I am not sure.

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Now thats what I call a paddlefish! I think I am done with Chain of Rocks for the year since I'm not 100% on if it is legal to even snag there now. :confused2:

I'm gonna make a trip down to Tablerock Lake here in Missouri this weekend....hopefully. This cool weather probably has everything all screwed up though.:angry: