Chain of rocks dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kaskas, Aug 22, 2006.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is there a way past the rock dam below the chain of rocks bridge? I would like to fish the fast water below it. I usually fish at columbia bottoms or Alton. Thanks Aaron

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I see people in boats all the time in the fast water part. You will have to travel down river some though and find a unloading ramp and travel back up the river to get up there.

3. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can go down to the locks and go out the other end and come back up to the chain of rocks to fish. locking only takes a little while both ways as they have 2 chambers to go into at times.

4. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    do you mean the locks on the canal side? bout how long of a trip is that, ill check it out on google earth

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe a run of 5miles or so.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    There is a large MDC ramp and parking lot just downstream from the Chain of Rocks Dam on the MO side.

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Didnt look too safe to use the day I was there as it looked to be a local hang out for some people ya don`t wanna mess with if ya get my drift.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I use to fish there on a regular basis, and you're right, not a good place to leave a car unattended...it might not be there when you get back! I always carried protection when I went down there...now I don't even mess around with it anymore because of all the problems there. There have been to many deaths at that place for me to even go back.

It's a shame, that was always a productive place to fish. I just don't know how to get through the rocks, otherwise I would go there from Columbia Bottoms. It can be done, I just don't know how to though. Are you going over to that area this weekend? I plan on going on Sunday to the Alton dam or the confluence area.

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can launch at Columbia Bottoms and run down river and stay to thr right side and go down to the locks and lock through. It only takes a little while to do it and you go to a place in the center of the 2 locks and pull a chain and tell the lockmaster ya want through. Its not a long run all the way around and there is some good sand flats to get shad on this time of the yr also.