Cha-ching...SCORE!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kat in the hat, Jan 27, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well...I ran into Mike Graf at the grocery store a minute ago, and he had some great news for me. Said he was cleaning out his shed, and came across an old reloading press, and powder scale. Said he was gonna just toss 'em 'till he remembered that I was looking to reload. I offered him some money, but he declined. I didn't ask what kind it is, but he says that it is OLD, and super-heavy duty. He said that I will need to get an adapter for it, but has just the thing at the store. :cool2:

SO...my initial investment will only include that adapter, and a die set. Said he can hook me up for around $30+ powder/primers! Between Mike, and my other buddy I will have all I need for FREE! Press, scale, primer pocket thingy majig, bullets...lots of bullets...and other nick-nacks. I know I will need a few things as I go along, but I'll be able to get a good start, and have some dough saved to put towards some things I might want.

We also discussed the political climate right now. That's another story, but judging by the smile on his face....:smile2: Said they got in a semi truckload....FULL of powder Friday morning, and 10 more skids Friday night, and it's all gone already. He's gonna rat-hole me some though, so it's all good. They are raking in cash hand over fist...and who can blame them?

As soon as it warms up enough for me to venture out of the house...it's on like Donkey Kong!

They are also passing out dummy rounds of the leverevolution in .32 sp. He confirmed that it would be spring before they go on sale. If I were looking to try them out in the near future, I would get my order in asap...but that's just me.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Chistmas for Matt. Good deal. :cool2:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the find Matt. I'm lookin for a loader myself (shotshells), but aint having your kind of luck. I'm gonna try to find a used outfit rather than drop $400.00 on a new one right now. Good luck with the new toy!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats,Matt. You know that just proves that it nice to have high friends in low places.:wink:

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah...that's proof that social drinking is important, and sometimes beneficial lmao. :smile2: I keep trying to think of something that I can do to make it up to him since he wouldn't accept any money. I'm thinking about a painting...BUT then I have to listen to everybody in the family about how I never paint THEM anything. Idunno. I'll think of something. I don't want to feel like a mooch. I was planning on buying all this stuff from his store. Not complaining, just don't want to feel like a mooch. Maybe I'll give him some big, juicy ribeyes or something. :wink:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good for you Matt!

My first loader was given to me in the 60's. It was a Lee 12 ga like the picture. It got me hooked in reloading and soon bought a MEC 600. After that, I bought RCBS equipment for reloading 38 SPL and 357.

I still have the body of that old Lee, I used it to mount a magnifying light in my shop. The mount that came with the light played out.

Attached Files:

• Lee.jpg
      Lee.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
  7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Invite him for dinner and the pub, invest about 60 to 100 bucks for the evening and call it even.
    Great find, tell us what you get.

8. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Matt, I'd say that if he didn't want you to have it then someone else would have got it. Is this the guy from Graf and sons? I think thats the name. I've ordered stuff from them before.

I think a painting would be really nice. As far as everyone else wanting one...well, they didn't set you up for reloading your own shells now did they.

That's great that you are getting into reloading so cheap. Congrats!

9. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
  10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i only dream of a find like that congrats sounds like your well on your way

11. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Today is Sheila's birthday. IF I don't spend ALL my money on her tonight, I'm planning to go to Graf & Son's Wednesday to pick up my adaptor and dies. Then I will pick up my press next Sunday when I'm off work. I'll post pics. I'm sure it's a dinosaur, but just as well. Maybe it will be sweet in a '64 Impala sort of way. :smile2: As long as it works, I'm more than happy. He better save me a couple cans of IMR 4350...that's all I'm worried about. Said he would. Either way, I'm sure I can score some within the next few weeks.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    " Maybe it will be sweet in a '64 Impala sort of way"

That's my favorite car, 64' impala super sport w/a 4 on the floor!!!
    good luck hope it works out for you!!

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well...I picked up my press today. It's a Herter's Super Model 3. It may be just what the doctor ordered. If not...it will make an excellent boat anchor. :smile2: Turns out he didn't have the adaptor for it, but it will be here in 2 weeks. It takes an adaptor so the newer style shell holder will work with it. Also got a Lyman powder scale (freebee), and a Lee "deluxe" 3 die set. A buddy went with me, and he picked up a die set for his 7mm, a deburring tool, brass, primers, calipers, primer pocket tool, a shell tray thingy. I still need a case trimmer, and want to get a crimping die, and Idunno what all...but it won't be long now, and we will be rolling. :cool2:

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good deal, now ya can go to the store more often to get stuff ya need. Gotta pay attention when you're reloading, but just play around and ya can make some real accurate custom loads. My brother had a complete setup but sold it, woulda gave it to me if he knew I was lookin. I haven't done any in 10 yr or so.

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Also toured the wholesale area of Graf & Son's. It's humungus. 50 people pluckin' and packin' stuff as fast as they can. The retail side is cool as well. I recon they have about anything ya need to reload (if it ain't sold out, lol)...and alot of other stuff too. I didn't price any of their guns, but most everything they have is very reasonably priced. There was a line in that place like Wal-Mart.

Midway USA is only 15 miles from me as well. I've never been there. I don't even know if they will let you in there. I'm sure they do, I just have never been there. A friend of mine's mom used to work there. She could get a 40% discount! It's a darn shame that she quit. She bought her husband a Thompson Encore dirt cheap... I had a bunch of stuff picked out, then she quit. :sad2:

16. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    A 40% discount would be awesome but that would get me in allot of trouble. I've spent a lot of money at midway USA over the years.

I should be getting a Graf catalog soon. I need to order some dies and bullets.

Sounds like you got a fine reloading press. Hope it serves you well.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats you lucky dog! Id say make him some deer jerky or something.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like you got a great start matt! just be very careful, especially if your loading that huge swift case.

19. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I'ma fill that case to the top, and squash it down with the bullet. :crazy:...:wink:

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good deal there,,
    Compressed powder loads are usually real accurate, with the right combo of components!:wink:
    I've been loading on dinosaur equipment ,, before it was dinosaur!!!!!:tounge_out: