Ceramic bearings

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathunter, Feb 9, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am thinking of upgrading aome of my abu reels to ceramic bearings, I hear they are much better and allow for much longer cast...Anyone have experience with these bearings?

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Nope sure haven't Jack,But I sure would be interested to Know what You find out,as I'm Always looking for Upgrades or things I can improve on,Thanks . J.D.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never heard of them before, but from what I just read about them on the internet, they definitely sound interesting, even if they do cost about twice as much as stainless steel bearings.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NEVER HEARD OF THEM BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THEY WORK OUT

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I read somewhere its what they use in casting contest, I know they are expensive. It will be interesting to see what the other post say.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Competition casting contests or if you want to break the 250yd mark.

Could try degreasing the bearings and add a ultra low viscosity oil to them. That would speed the bearings up.

Quantum Hot Sauce oil for the bearing and lube for the gears.

Will

7. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Hi Jack (Flathunter). I bought my first ABU, a 5000 about 1960. Still have it and several 6500c's and 7000c's. In my old age I had the desire to finally own an "upgraded reel". Didn't really need one, knew it wouldn't catch any more fish than the off the shelf models, just a "got to have one" thing.

About four years ago I had Mikes Reel make me a custom 7000c. Liked it so well that two years ago had him do me a 6000c. Probably will never get another as these have satisfied my "got to have one" hunger and I don't plan to upgrade any of my other reels. Would like to, but cost prohibitive for me at this time.

Both have ceramic bearings and the ease of casting over standard models is quite noticable. Might add that they also have the dual bearing worms. So, this has to also add to the castability of the reels. Much smoother and even sems like the reels are lighter to the touch.

Only my opinion from my use of these reels. I don't think you will be dissapointed if you give them a try.

Have read many of your post's and I thank you for them. Your tackle and methods are so similar to mine that it is almost scary. Be warned, you may end up wanting to upgrade all your reel's. I liked mine that much.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but I've never met anyone who could cast 250 yards. Yes, I know the world's record is a bit farther than that, but here is an example of casting ability...The Florida Open Casting Championship. It was won with casts of less than 250 yards. Here's a link:

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/033105/fis_2979600.shtml

And bear in mind that tournament casting is done without any bait. Bait will catch the air and shorten the cast. I've met only a handful of people who can cast 150 yards under fishing conditions, with a bait.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The ceramic bearings do make some distance but there's some things I've found from trying all of the modifications there seems to be out there.

There are different ceramic bearings out there. The ABEC 7 are the highest grade and and the ABEC 5 just below them. I've tried both and can't tell any difference as far as fishing goes. There might be in competition, but not in fishing.

There are some out there with ceramic linings but the ones with the ceramic balls are the ones you want. They make a little noise but they do cast better. Also like anything else, it takes a few throws to really break them in. Also one advantage of the ceramic bearings is they don't use oil for lubricant, ceramic is self lubricating. They do spin faster though so if it's spinning too fast and causing backlashes, then you can add a drop or two of oil to slow them down a bit for more control.

As far as price, I've tried the 40.00 "rocket bearings" and haven't seen any difference in them and the ABEC 5 ceramic bearings that I paid 10.00 a pair for. You can find the ceramic bearings at VMX Bearings on the internet. They come by the pair or you can get the ABEC 5s for 40.00 per 10.

I've also tried the ceramic line pawl and haven't noticed any difference in smoothness either so to me that was also a waste.

When I build or upgrade a reel, I just use the ABEC 5 ceramic bearings and add one bearing on the line guide, and I'm good.

10. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Flathunter, I use bearings from BOCA Bearing Company. They have what they call their "Lightning" series which are ceramic balls housed in steel races. They are ABEC 5 rated. They sell in 4 packs for around $30.

I put a pair of these in a 7000B that originally came with bushings. There was a noticable increase in distance and the reel felt much smoother. I put the other pair in a 7500C3 that already came with bearings. Again, the reel is smoother and it throws a little further. I didn't notice as big a gain because the reel already had bearings, but it feels better when casting and retrieving.

I ordered a 4 pack from BOCA yesterday to install in a pair of 6500 Rockets that I am modifying. I plan on using these bearings along with dual bearing worm drives and a bearing cog wheel. I'm going to mount these on a couple of 10' surf rods and see if I can cast across the lake. Man, the fish aren't gonna know what hit 'em. Doug

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got one of those bearing cog wheels and can't notice any difference in either casting or retrieving. I can't tell any difference in casting distance either between the two bearing worm gears and the one with just one bearing on it.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Truthfully, the 250yd just came out of thin air, but did look and our own Mr Mark Edwards has/had the U.S.A. spinning record of 758'. The casting is 839'.
    Don't know for sure what the world record is, have heard that 900' was broken last fall.

:004:

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    LOL! If I had to cast that far, I would be on a different body of water. I could just drive over there:smile2: