central valley help

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by thecapitan, Nov 11, 2005.

1. thecapitan

thecapitan New Member

State:
    california
    i have recently got back into fishing after a several year hiatus, my prob is i havent caught anything in months!!!!!! i used to do alot of salt water fishing, but im kinda new to fresh water. maybe you guys can offer a newbie some pointers. what i usually do is i set my HEAVY rod ( used ta be my shark rod ) fer catfish, i use a line with a weight at bottom, and small treb;le hooks, 1st hook is 2 inches up, second hook is 6 inches from bottom, third hook is 18 inches from bottom, each has 3-4 inches of line attaching it to main line, then i use blood bait. is this a good cat setup? i got my two pole stamp so my second rod is either my fly rod, or i use spinner baits fer trout, or sometimes i use a dropshot rig fer bass/trout or i use the same catfish setup on my heavy pole but i use trout powerbait. no luck in 8 trips er so!!!!!
    I fish succsess lake if ure familiar with it, and sometimes kaweah. am i doing something wrong? or is it just my five year old who sometimes likes to throw rocks in the water? also i am limitted to what shore spots i can use since most are a good hike down steep areas and my five year old cant make it down, plus the lake water is low.
    any help would be appreciated thanx

2. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Call the CDF and check the legality of your rig. I believe we are limited to one treble hook or two single point hooks when bait fishing. I use chicken liver with some powdered or chopped garlic on it. I use sharp Gamagatsu single hooks, one on the end and one on about a 1 ft leader about 3 ft above the end, then a swivel and a bead with a sliding weight above that. Fish at night if you can.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey there thecaptain...... I fish those lakes before. Caught several cats at both, but nothing to brag about. lol. I am in Fresno. We fish the aquaduct and Mendota slough. You can drive up right to the water which is a BIG plus. You are more than welcome to hook up with me and I can show you some spots. Anyway, I will share the 2 basic ways I catfish in the waters I fish. Now it could change a lil depending on the body of water i am fishing. Any who..... I use one pole with a double loop surf rig (1 oz. sinker on the bottom, go up ft make a loop and then another foot or 18 inc and another loop. Tie off the hook through the loops.)
    The other pole I slide on a 1 oz. barrel sinker then a bead and tie it off to a swivel clapse (this way I can change from a trebble hook to a single hook or a dip worm). I use bout 18 in leader to get it off the bottom. Now most folks think cats as total bottom feeders, but they are predators. Live bait works good (minnows, shad, small gills, crawdads, ect....) I also use frozen when I cant afford the live stuff or I can't catch or net em. I also fish with a good stink bait like Sonny's blood bait. I also always fish with chicken liver as well. Hope this helps ya. Let us know how ya do. OH..... Welcome to the Brotherhood bro.

4. thecapitan

thecapitan New Member

State:
    california
    thanks daystarchis i appreciate all the help, might just be cause im day fishing too. i dont get to stay out at night much, got a new baby and a five year old and a hectic werk schedule. and i need ta see tha wife sometimes lol we do need ta meet up fer fishing at some point, sounds fun, prolly not be good till spring tho, busy at work, havent even had a chance to drink beer with my friends in like 5 er 6 mos...... i need ta look up fishing regs lol... im used ta texas rules just moved here 2 years ago.

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    When i got back into serious fishing again this year after years of little or no fishing i went thru the dry spell also Thecaptain, at least 4-5 maybe even the first 6 trips got skunked then got hooked up with Robb and things turned around.

Try different baits, take 4-5 different kinds and see what works i know it gets expensive but you have to figure out what works for where you're at once you get a line on that you'll catch fish most of the time.

And welcome to the board

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Just do not loose hope. We all go through dry spells. The secret is keep trying. Talk to others around you in the area you are fishing. Eventually you will find fish. DO not be afraid to change baits or locations.

If all else fails, call me or Robb, we'll put you on some fish.

-Brian