Central Texas bank fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by need4fishing, Dec 28, 2006.

1. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

Hi all, was looking for some places around to bank fish since i dont have a boat(yet). I usually fish trading house & the lake waco spillway. since both are free, quick to get to, and others seem to have better luck catching the fish then me.
    This year i have some vacation time comming up and hope to go fishing, and hopefully catch something. Out of the maybe 15 or so trips i took last year i caught about a 6lb channel from trading house & a turtle from the spillway. I fished with minnows, shrimp, and blood bait.
    I am looking for some more places to try around away from the waco area, or just more spots here. Had thought about aquilla but not sure on if any good bank fishing spots available only been there once. Whitney i think has several fishing areas. State parks had also crossed my mind to to try some fishing like Mother Neff & Fort Parker.
    When should the fish be moving in close enough for bank fishing, since its "winter" and the water is cooler the fish should be deeper. I was thinking of baiting the areas i usually fished with some range cubes to try and help my chances of catching something. I fish for the fun not for the food so size of fish doesnt matter or species as long as somethings biting its worth the trip.
    Thanx for any new ideas on when/where to fish.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Brazos River, Falls on the Brazos out of Marlin. Have to wade across the river to get to the first bar, but it can be good. Below the falls, you can get Helgrammites from under the rocks. Invest in a dip net...a wide one...and turn over rocks for them. Great catfish bait. Also, a cast net and a siene are good tools for bait below the falls.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    leave me a PM when u wanna go and i can show you some good spots for winter fishing. I am not too familiar with the summer patterns in lake waco. If you can cast out to 60-70yrds with a worm or cut bait on i can show u a spot in cameron park where bank fishing is excellent.

4. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

thanks for these ideas, and the offering of showing me a place to fish.
    i have never seen or heard of people fishing in cameron park, only heard of fishing around the dam. have never fished in the river before, but had thought it might be good fishing around the bridges since they would have some cover for fish to hide.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    like i said, PM me and i can show you places to catch channels in the river. I cant get blues consistantly there but i target buffalo in that river since there are so many and they are so fun to catch.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Lots of drum, gar and white bass in the Brazos also.

7. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

Is the fishing anygood walking along the side of the brazos say from one of the highways and headed toward cameron park, or should i start around cameron park and work my way closer to where they have the boat races?
    i have read when fishing the spillway i fished before the 1st bend after the spill, & at the spot before the overpass under all the trees by the fallen tree. i know years back could catch bass & cats, but in last year or so when i went only caught 1 turtle with few other bites. I was thinking of making some chum to take with me to bait the hole early and just wait for some fish to come in.
    was thinking of trying my luck in a month or so, hopefully with better luck then before with the help of everyone here.

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guys, I invite you to listen to our radio show www.catfishradio.com click on the streaming player. You can listen to last saturday's show and previously archived ones. There is a line up there so you can see what you are about to listen to. Lots of catfish talk with pros here. Thanks, Luke CLayton

9. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Stillhouse Hollow has some good spots to fish,along with some good fish.

10. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

should this artic front thats moving thru effect the fishing for long if it doesnt stay cold for to long? i had thought about going fishing the 1st weekend of feb. or atleast go wet a line. if i go to a lake i had thought about baiting an area with range cubes on a friday afternoon and then come back early morning and hope something had came in for the free food.
    how deep should i be trying to fish this time of year. should i fish deep or off the bottom? i was thinking of going back to trading house since its close and easy to get to & around. going to try minnows(if i catch any), shrimp, maybe some livers for the cats. and i have assorted lures to try for the bass & reds out there if anything is biting on the other baits.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The front will affect fishing for about three days, then things should get better. Even if it really gets cold, like down in the twenties, the fish have to eat and the water temps won't get much colder than they are now unless the cold sticks around for a couple of weeks.

12. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

well hopefully the lakes didnt cool off to much, and the cooler weather for week or so dont hurt fishing to much. i looked on TPWD site and they had showed the water temp from almost most lakes listed in the plains from 45-50 degrees.
    i guess with these colder temps, i can wait til mid feb. for the new moon, and try again at full moon in march.