Central Pennsylvania catfishing

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by tbartek, Mar 18, 2006.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the BOC and would like to get some tips on places to fish the central part of the state. I usually frequent the little juniata in the Huntingdon area and also the "big" juniata in the Lewistown area. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

2. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Wow, I must be the only one in the center of the state that likes to fish for cats. I'm so proud:)

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    tbartek

Looks like you may have it all to yourself there. Nice thing is you can have a local BOC Gathering every time you go ;) !

Regarding the Channel Cats in your area. I only go for Channels here in NE Ohio in mid May to about mid June. What I do IF I go is to a spillway below Lake Milton in Ohio. From what I see there is that the Channels do a pre-spawn run up to the dam to feed on Shad than "BIG TIME"!! The river there at the spillway is from 2 ft to about 4 ft deep and when they are in I slay them. IF you can find the right spot and use worms, cut bait or Chubs cut or live. I've caught as many as 6-7 plus 27 inchers in as little as 4 hours, along with a bunch of other smaller ones. The 18 3/4#er in my profile was taken there and am looking to break the 20# mark. High water is good too, don't stay home due to high water!!! I use a bobber and cast around till I find where they are sitting for it changes all the time. From what I've see after 9AM is when they hit the best there through the daylight hours.

No reason for me to fish for them any other time of the year.

Time fer the Flatheads!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps ya.

4. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you haven't looked yet, the PA Fish and Boat Commision has some good info on their site. You can do a county map search and it will show you the commosion's launch ramps and rivers and lakes and such. It will also give a primary species list for a particular lake so you can see if catfish are in there.

5. citori59

citori59 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey tbartek!!!! I frequently fish the Little Juniata. Maybe I'll run into you sometime.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    citori59 - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25:

7. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    :0a25: Citori59 welcome to the BOC:) you look vaguely familiar. Have you ever fished Ralph's point in Huntingdon? That's one of my most usual haunts.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hello Brothers!, I am also new to BOC and live in Jersey Shore Pa. I frequently fish the Susquehanna River and it's tributaries. I have a very special place between the mouth of Antes Creek and the "point" which is a place that splits the river around "The Great Islant". There is alot of descent structure bass wise (usually Sus. Smallies) but the Cattin' is another story all together! Wow! I use an older method that I sort of updated and I'd like to share it with you!
    1st: Wrap FRESH chicken liver peices in a square of cheesecloth. (I make little bundles beforehand but it's not nessecery, just less messy on the river)
    2nd: put on your weight(s) Try a drop/slip shot "in-line" weight. NO TANGLES!! This is superb for rocky bottoms!
    3rd: Run the line up through your bundles.
    3rd: Tie on a no.1 - no.4 (depending on the size of the bait used) and slide the bundle down onto the treble hook. Make sure that the barbs are un-obstructed. The bundle should rest neatly in the middle of the hook.
    4th: Cast/fish/enjoy !
    I hope that someone will try this method and let me know if you have the same great luck I do!
    Thanks for such an informative website!

9. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    I grew up in PA and am going to fish the Juniata in Mount Union next week with my cousin for rock bass. But does anyone catch a lot of catfish in the river, all I've seen is rock bass and smallmouth?

10. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Arync, from Mount Union down towards Mexico you will catch a lot of smallies and rock bass, but if you hit the river at night and fish a hole you're bound to hook up with some bullheads or channel cats. Channel cats especially like soft shell crabs. If you cant find soft shells, try crunching up the heads and tear off any big claws from the hardshells. You don't get any better eating than a good fat catfish!:big_smile:

11. burrbear

burrbear New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm from the Mill Hall area in central PA. The Liverpool area along route 11/15 is a sweet place to fish for nice cats. :lol: I use cutbait, frogs, or small chubs. My main place to fish is the McElhattan area on the West Branch of the Susquehanna with a personal best of a 10 pounder...28". Got a 30" 9½ pounder last year at the spillway at Foster Sayers dam on a Gulp jig while fishin' for walleye. G'Luck...

12. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    You might try making the gathering in Elizabeth 10-11 jun should met some god catfishing peoples with great knowledge.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hey now, I was just fishin there last weekend, gotta save some fish for me!! haha!, I'm from Jersey Shore and after a quick stop at Uncle Joes Woodshed to gear up for the day I had a blast! Seems to be alot of perch in there. I caught a 17" Walleye but not in season yet :( oh well soon. Did you ever fish that little creek that runs through rote/mill hall? I was wondering how it was fish wise? Uncle Joes sells St. Croix now but make sure they're not the imported ones if your looking to buy. there are those splake in there too!
    Did you ever fish "down stream" from where you said around those little islands? There are some pretty large blues in there and the hit on nightcrawlers great!

14. burrbear

burrbear New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Which small stream are you talking about in Mill Hall/Rote...Fishing Creek / good for trout...Long Run / also good for trout...or the Bald Eagle / not bad for cats...been pulling a few walleyes out of it the past few nights and one cat about 22".

15. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA

16. Katfish-hunter

Katfish-hunter New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    burrbear, are there alot of places for bank fishing in the liverpool area. as i don't have a boat. At least not yet. Any ideas on how to show my wife the importance of a boat. lol

17. burrbear

burrbear New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I fished about 50 yeards above the boat launch in Liverpool. Haven't taken the boat down there yet. Planning on it this summer, though! Not sure what to tell the wife...Just buy it then tell her. Isn't that what they do with shoes and such...they add up over time...lol G'Luck

18. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    burrbear, I used to go to a place near there years ago with my dad. All I can remember is that it was near a bar called Friendly Tavern. Is that still there? I'd like to try that area again but its a long way for me to travel to not be sure of where I'm going.:confused2:

19. burrbear

burrbear New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I may be mistaken, but I recall a gas station right across the road from there...I think an Exxon station. It's at the northern side of Liverpool right along 11/15. I'll probably start going down there again in July or August after the walleye fishing slows down.