Central Nebraska Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by NebraskaWalleye, Oct 14, 2009.

1. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    I just got off the phone with Craig the head of CNC, they are still going strong and he told me last year they had a 5 fish limit at calamus and the #1 place was 108lbs anyways back to subject he should have a schedule come December he told me if any of you wanted information to give him a call and he will mail stuff out. His contact number is 308-233-7397 if he does by chance ask where you got his number tell him Clinton Gave it to ya. Well good luck to you guys and I am hoping to have a boat back for the 2010 season so hoping to see you on the water at some of these tournies. Also about there website I asked Craig also about this and he said it was outdated now, they should have the new one up coming in February.

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    do you have to be a member of their club to fish the tourneys???????

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Outstanding! thank you very much! with their website so outdated I thought they had closed up shop. And I copied down the info and number and will give him a call sometime when I sit down and get organised.
    Used to be you could find all this stuff out at baitshops and would see the schedule posted at them,I never see any anymore, and no website,well it gets to be a real hassle just finding them.
    Hopefully we'll see you out there,I want to hit up a bunch of tourneys this next year if everything comes together just right. No real expectations,just doing it for fun!
    Thanks again!

4. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    No but you can join at the beginning of the tourney season and it pays off if you fish every tourney, dont remember what the membership fee was. But I did cause it saves on the cost of entry. Dont remember if you got the shirts and hats with membership fee's or if that was extra but they where some really nice shirts and hats.

5. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Thats the exact attitude they like to see there is the fun part of it, and all the guys in this club are all very knowledgable, but they dont easily give away honey holes especially on tourney lakes, lol. but i know of a few good ones on BO/Cal/Elwood/Johnson/Sherman.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Oh,I understand about not not giving up the sweet spots! everybody would be trying to cram into the same hole,anyway I'm going to try to show up so everybody can laugh at my 30 year old bass boat,and maybe they'll feel sorry for me and spill some knowlegde about catfishin after the event! Anyway it sounds like a great time! Do you have any idea of what entry fee's run? well I got to go my kids are wanting the computer.

7. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Depends on what the tourney is for like the Josh Stasch Memorial they had was little higher but it was for a good cause. Was a good turn out too. Think that one was $100 per team, think the normal tournaments are like 25 per person if member or 35 if not, dont quote me on that though been almost 2 years since I have fished with these guys prices may of went up or down if the members has increased dramatically. Also me and my partner started fishing the 07 season in a 14' sea king that I swear to god was gonna roll on us out on calamus, We couldnt both stand to fight our fish at the same time or it would of. had to stay sitting to net fish that was interesting lol. and the old bass boat you will prolly have people envy of you over that one, lol.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Calamus is on my must do list!!! I think it is the Best Channel cat lakes in the state of Nebraska all things being equal.Ya need a Good deep boat ifin the wind is a blowing cause it can get rough and the fellas that fish the lake Ain't going to tell you nothing and that's OK in this mans book cause I don't have to be there friends to take there Money :wink: Plus unless you be a Member of the brother hood (B.O.C.) Mums the word,Right Brothers??? Later,J.D.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    does any of that entry go to big fish... thats how our club does it... just curious

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    JR Them Tourney's always have a side bet for Big Fish,Most often depending on the entry fee usually $5 to $10 bucks,J.D.

11. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

yeah we pay out for 1st and 2nd big fish... i left one with both big fish and 1st place once in '06 with a limmit of channels

12. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Yes they pay for big fish and they do something else cant remember what its called right now but you can bet on what teams win as well and you bid on the teams we bought ourselves at calamus and branched oaks calamus for 30 bucks took second place earned 200 back on that 30 and at BO we payed 90 fo ourselves and made back $700 on that one, taking first place, they do a lot of stuff that can make your trip worthwhile or break ya, which is the fun in it, lol. If I remember right the CNCA is also who puts on the walleye derby held every may at Johnson. just fisherman out on the waterhaving a good time.

Flathead Hunter what club are you part of?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  13. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    They have a calcutta in that division

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yeah, doubt there'll be any envy there! I actually want a bigger boat with more room to move about,used to have and miss my pontoon,but it wasn't worth a darn for traveling anyway. Oh well,someday maybe! I'm really stoked about getting into a tounament trail or two and getting some serious fishing in,I need to do some wiring and lighting work for those night time events and maybe a couple new seats.

15. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas

Yeah most of CNCA is night time tournies Elwood Res is usually the daytime event and its a hard one thats the only spot where in the dead middle of summer our Blood Bait was beat by shad gizzards.

16. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I actually remember last year's schedule being more daytime tourney's than night tourney's. NCAA outside Lincoln has all night tourney's but no calcuta. But whatever CNCA is closer for me on most of the touney's.
    I was actually thinking that there could be really good one if one was started in just western NE. There are 14 resevoirs in the sw corner of the state. All good fishing holes.

17. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas

hrm The 2 years I did it we did night time, but maybe he switched it up ill have to see what he schedules this year, if its daytime that gonna change my whole approach I was already planning out, and I will have to pre fish most definately on all the lakes to find daytime holes.. if its daytime ill probably use more cutbaits instead of blood and ancor instead of drift.

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    John, you guys definatly have the lakes out there to do it,I wish it wasn't so far out there for me to run to. I like the central part of the state just because it evens the drive up for most Nebraska guys,but I used to drive all over the country for a living and now hate spending hours in a vehicle to get somewhere,I don't like it but I'll do it for the right reasons (fishing). I don't know if I'd jump in if they were all out there but one or two a summer wouldn't be too bad. Only bad thing is from where I live to where your from is a 4 to 41/2 hour run one way,and for alot less travel time I can hit up the bigger kansas lakes,, we all know that gas isn't cheap,especially dragging a trailer,so I imagine that distance from home is always going to play a factor.

19. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I have a friend that drives out here twice a year to fish with me and he lives in Omaha. Of course he just drives his car and I supply the boat. He's going to join me in a couple of the tourney's next year. I don't have a set partner yet. It'd be nice to find someone close to me to hook up with so we can split gas and bait. I can't afford the gas anymore than the next guy. So I'm not fishing any of his tourney's. I'm going to fish the two Waverly tourney's in MO and that's it. I figure I'll have a better chance on a river than fishing on 10 lakes. I was raised on the smaller rivers but rivers are rivers and I can fish me some rivers.

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yup, I know what you mean about the rivers,sometimes they are real similar and sometimes things change but current breaks and structure remain the same,as do feeder creeks and other good fishing spots. I've talked to FMB off here and we are about 40 miles apart from each other,so we'll most likely get to team up for some of the tourneys,we fish together pretty well, and are both half crazy and half die hard catfish guys,so I think we'll make a great team. I've got a bad back and can't lift hardly anything so it''s nice to have a ablebodied fisherman to help out and we can teach each other a thing or two,he's pretty knowledgable and smart,together I hope we make a good team. I know we have the skills,it's just the luck that might worry me,we've had some pretty slow trips lately,but then cold water flatheading is never fast or real lucky. But both of us will set there for 12+ hours without complaint(well not serious complaints) other than cussing the fish.Anyway YES I think having a good partner is a must! Top of the list actually.