Central Illinois Catfisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Branj796, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looking for local fisherman to discuss area catfishing.

2. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off Welcome to the BOC...
    Fire away with your questions and get your chat started we all will jump in...I primaraly fish Newton Lake,The Kaskaskia River,Carlyle and Rend lake...However couple of the guys here are showing me the ropes on other lakes...

My Thanks go out to all of you for that...

3. capnmac

capnmac New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish Springfield, Clinton, Shelbyville, and Illinois River.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. Where you located. I fish hillsboro lakes and some below the dam at carlyle. Occasional trip to the MISS river.

5. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in Springfield. I fish mainly lake springfield due to the cost of traveling. I fish the Illinois river as well. Grew up fishing on the river. I would really like to start fishing Clinton, the Mississippi, and will be going to the big tournaments at rend lake and havana this year. I fish almost all the lake springfield open buddy tourneys. I fish several nights a week from spring to fall. I love to catfish.

6. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am fairly new to lake fishing and am having trouble adapting to drift fishing. I have tryed many different techniques with very little luck. Guys I know are drifting through the same areas as me and are catching a lot more fish. We use the same bait and rig I guess. The majority of my fish are caught anchored and I would like to try something new. It looks to be more consistantly productive. Just looking for some ideas thanks.

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you have come to the right place...The weekend of the Rend tournament we are having a gathering Come and talk to a few of the boys and meet a few people from the BOC...

Several folks fish those spots you are fishing and you should be able to meet a few people and make a few new friends and new ideas...

I will be back on after while and talk more about how we drift fish...

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Welll if it is the same rigs and same baits... a simple problem could be you are drifitng too fast. To rectify that, you can get yourself a drift sock or even use a 5 gallon bucket tossed out and attached to the boat. That will help slow your rate with the current, and hopefully catch you more fish!

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am having some trouble really slowing down. I would also like some input on exactly what kind of rigs you all are using to drift. Leader length stuff like that.

Also would definately like to hang, talk fishin, and fish anytime. If any of you all every plan on coming to the lake springfield buddy tourneys same goes for yall to. Long ways away though. Winter sucks.

10. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will definately be down their camping the week before doing some pre-fishing. Reccomend any campsites? are they always pretty full? Any information would be helpful. Always wanted to make the trip but never really been able to find any information.

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That week before... if we are talking the same Rend Gathering time... I will be camping as will Paul (deerhunter4). We will probably be at Hickman's Point June 16th on Monday. 15 bucks a night, so a week could get a bit expensive. Start saving the pennies now!

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Alright Jake... Look at this attachment. This is the rig I use for drift fishing. I find it to be very successful and I do not use anything but it now. If you have any questions, let me know.

Attached Files:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian I like the looks of your rig. That should do the trick.

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yep, that's a good bait catching rig, alright. Right Brian? :smile2:

15. capnmac

capnmac New Member

State:
    illinois
    Not to far away. 1 month and counting for Springfield. I will be fishing all the Springfield tourneys this year. Hope to see you there. I live in Riverton so just a jump away for me. Cya soon

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    come to the catstock gathering this year jake. we'll all show you first hand some tekniques....check the gathering threads for more info..

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    your about an hr from me. i fish clinton lake alot.

drifting. well ive never used anyting to slow me down. i dont know how the current is where you fish but in clinton i just use a carolina rig and cut shad. thats it. i never use any other bait drifting. i have good luck most every time. what boat are ya drifting with. toon v-john??

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    brian thats a good rig, but im not understanding why the 8 1/4 ounce sinkers? why not just one good 1 1/2 ouncer?

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    jake, you may wanna look into getting a drift sock if ur fishing in current or high wind. also make sure your motor is pointed the direction you wanna drift. also make sure your hook is clearing the bait to increase your hook up rate. other than that its just like still fishing except your bait will bounce of bottom with your movement. make sure you are in a good area. not just anywhere. pay attention to the contours of the bottom. you wanna be around channels and humps in a lake like that.

20. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good advice, Shane. I would add that you can lengthen the amount of rope to slow you down even more. Bwhupp and I have fished some windy days at Baldwin where we had to use 2 drift socks. I prefer to drift with the side of the boat facing the wind. This allows us more room and we can use more rods and not have the tangles we would if the bow was facing the wind. You can also use your trolling motor as a kicker to keep your drift straight.