central illinios and bluecats

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 23, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is their any close place to catch blues in central illinos, it doe not seem like it to me

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    powerton lake. there stocked.

its just outside of pekin.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Yes they are close. Besides poweton. there is Lasalle power plant lake, Baldwin power plant lake. They recently started stocking lake Springfield with blues. Then you have the wabash river and the ohio river and the Mississippi river and the Kaskaskia river below Carlyle lake. All with in 2 hours of any where in central Illinis. It just depends on where you live.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am pretty familiar with powerton - fish about 50 yards north of the mouth of the inlet on that dike that runs north and cast out on the inlet side. And also if you are in a boat, fish about 75 yards NW off of the point of that same dike. (You can also walk to that spot, but it is a VERY LONG walk) The best bait there is a fresh bluegill with one side of it filleted off. (Save the fillets for backup or to freshen up a bluegill that has been soaking in the water too long) The blues there are predominately in the 30 lb range for the larger ones. Good luck and looking forward to hearing about your fishing adventures.

5. construction0226

construction0226 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wanting to know of some places close to were I live also to catch blues and this helps. Thanks for all the info!

6. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    Braidwood cooling lake has been stocked with blues. They haven't gotten real big yet. My best from there last year was 10 pounds with many smaller ones (all released to grow bigger). Being a cooling lake and having huge schools of shad they ought to be getting pretty good size fast.

Follow this link to find excellent catfish location and type information from the IDOC; this is where I found out Braidwood had got stocked with blues.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/images/uploads/2008_Illinois_Catfish_Status_Report.pdf

Tight lines and screaming drags!