Central Florida catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by jeremy0000, May 8, 2007.

1. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Anyone know of any good catfish areas in Central Florida? I live in Kissimmee and we usually just catch bullheads in golf course ponds. I am interested targeting some real cats. Any Advise on where to start will be appreciated.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Please forgive me if I'm wrong here, but you're probably catching bullheads in golf course ponds because you're fishing in golf course ponds. You should just about be able to throw a rock in any direction and find catfish waters. Lake Kissimmee, Rodman, Withlacoochee River, Oklawaha River, Cross Florida Barge Canal---you could even make a short run up the St. Johns River.

3. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Try the Harris chain of lakes or the St johns river.
    I prefer the wekivi river north of hwy 46 ,best way in is from the boat ramp on Hibanks road in Debary fl then south to the wekivi.
    Big blues this time of year 40lb. class.
    mule

4. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thats absolutely true. :lol:

Thanks both of you for the advise. I think I'll start by trying out the St. Johns this coming weekend. I live close to lake tohopekaliga. Is there a way to target an area to fish where I may have more luck? For example deep holes with structure. This lake is avg 4-6 feet deep with a few holes up to 8-10 feet. Do you think I will just have more luck traveling to the rivers than fishing the lake.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not counting the shoreline, except for points, structure that would attract largemouth bass will generally also attract catfish.

6. jhedg

jhedg New Member

State:
    AZ
    I go to Rodman, on the south fl barge canal

7. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    I can get to the Rodman Dam, haven't caught anything below it nor in the Oklawaha except dinky bass, specks, etc.(I live fairly close to below the dam)--where do I go above to get to the S canal or any other good catfish spots? All I know is there's the reservoir above the dam, don't know much about ti otherwise...

8. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Kerry Come over to Palatka and join us on July 14 for a great Catfish Tournamsent. You will get to meet some of the best Fishing people in the State.
    Walter

9. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    FourEyes: Can you give more info on the July 14 gathering in Palatka? I would like to check it out. Is there a site or link that would provide more information. Thanks!

10. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    west lake is a good lake to fish. the area between the islandss is good. so is shingle creek, down at south port in front of the locks. east lake has big cats,and the canal on canoe creek road when the water is running is also good. good luck

robin-- catmanfl

11. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hi Gang We had to change our Tournament Date to July 21, We could not get the ramp any earlier. Come on FL. lets give the Other States a run for their money.
    Have a safe and great 4th.
    Walter

12. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Great Idea Catman! :smile2:

I went out to shingle creek tonight and got a 10lb channel cat and couple 5lb of another breed.

(edit) I will post pic's soon I gotta get my friend to email em to me.

13. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Robin -- Good to see you on this site. Was good talking to you today. Glad you are fishing the tournament with us.
    Have a good night.
    Walter

14. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Photo's are here! Couldn't find a way to post em all to forum so I did the next best thing and made a slide show. Enjoy!

15. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    jeremy, shingle creek is one of my old stomping grounds. Ia'm glade you got a few. I use to live in kissimmee. good luck.

robin