Central air, fan capacitor.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by olefin, Sep 6, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Need to replace the capacitor for the condenser fan on a 31 year old 3.5 ton Rheem. I can order a new capacitor online but have a problem... the markings (MFD and volt ratings) on the faulty capacitor are no longer readable. Also the schematic doesn't show the rating of either capacitor. Any suggestions?

Last year the pack rats chewed into the units low voltage cable under the house. I fooled them, I ran a new cable out the wall direct to the outside unit. I can't find any place that pack rats can get under the house unless they are tunneling under the foundation? I've tried the best rat poison but they must love it.
    Then someone told me you can't poison a pack rat for they only pack it and don't eat it... I don't buy that. :confused2:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well if they ain't dead then maybe they was correct?:eek:oooh: Have to agree with ya tho, but who knows maybe they figured sense ya tried to off them they would take out yer A/C and what til its hot to attack! :crazy:

Sorry can't help ya on the a/c unit, how ever my grandad use to set out old jar lids with root-beer in them said the rats would drink it and that they can't pass gas so it would swell them up and kill'm :roll_eyes: don't know if he was pull'n my leg or not but if he was he sure went to the extreme to do it....

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dayton, replace that whole system!
    You'll save money in the long run.:big_smile:

31 years old. Wow!

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll have to agree with Mark on this one.
    Replace the relic with a 13seer or higher and you will probably get a rebate from your power company as well as cut your bill in half.
    31 years, was it coal fired?:smile2:

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would have already replaced the complete unit if we used it everyday but it's only run a couple days every few weeks or so in the summer. The unit was cooling great, it uses more power but so what... no pay back on replacing when all I need is the right capacitor that cost range from $8 to $32.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dayton, see if you can pull a model and serial number off the whole unit and see if a HVAC parts house can reference it.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    are We talkin about a dual capacitor or just a single?

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good thought, I'll give that a try.

Single.
    It has another capacitor for the compressor.

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    while your gathering numbers , Have a look see at the Fan Motor that it helps.
    Horse power Rating, RPM and Voltage will go a long way with the phone tech.
    Most places can do a Common Cap like you need right out of the service truck.
    HVAC have helped me with Matching CAP's for HPS lights we use bow fishing.
    Real people interested in helping you.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    pull the numbers off your info plate on the condnser motor. Your local electrical supply house should be able to match up a capacitor for you

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I finally got around to going to the supply house with the units model number. The condenser fan motor name plate had long rusted away. They said it required a 3/370. But what's unbelievable was the price.... $1.22!

I didn't know a buck, 22 cents would buy anything these days!
    Especially a part for an air conditioner or anything else.

The new capacitor didn't fit the mounting hole so I used a little southern engineering to take care of that.

The 32 year old unit now runs great! :big_smile:

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I wish i would have seen this sooner ,where i work we deal with rudd units could of found it for you.

13. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WOW A BUCK TWENTYTWO.MIGHT HAVE TO GET A SECOND JOB!!!I'M GLAD YOU GOT IT GOING.AND YOU ARE RIGHT,FOR AS LITTLE AS YOU USE IT WHY REPLACE SOMETHING THAT COST SO LITTLE TO GET GOING AGAIN.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Glad to hear you got it going so cheap, buy an extra in case those rats are really pissed off. Here in South Texas we have problems w/the ants covering them up & shorting them out, supposed to be drawn to the electricity I think!!!

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

The root beer would work if it aint flat. Put out some alka seltzer and let them chew on that. :wink: