Center pin reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mudpup, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mudpup

mudpup New Member

State:
    Wilkes-Barre Pa.
    Has anyone ever used a center pin reel ? I just recently came across these reels and figgered they might be good for some bank fishing . Well as far as long distance casting is concerened , they just might be the ticket . If soo , what kind of line do you use with these reels ?? Mudpup

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check out "Cabelas" They carry Okuma centerpin reels.Also you may want to check out the Alvey reels while you are there.There is a thread on them on the reel section of the BOC also.peewee-williams

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mudpup,
    the true center pin is not a reel made for long casting. They are excellent for allowing the slightest current to take the smallest float down stream as they are finely balanced and very free running. The Alvey reels, while being a center pin design have a spool that rotates such that the line comes off the same as a spinning reel and are capable of casting huge distances. All Alveys are center pins but not all center pins are Alveys. they are great to play a fish on as you are in direct contact and get a feel that you cannot get with spinning or casting reesl...W
    P.S. Fill in your profile

4. mudpup

mudpup New Member

State:
    Wilkes-Barre Pa.
    Thanks for the info and the heads up on my profile. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new toy and I think I just found it, Thanks. To me it looks like a challenge to cast this wild looking reel and more soo alot of fun landing a cat on one of these. Am going to call CABELA'S and talk to one of their reps and see what they have to say ,also. Thanks again Chuck