Center Hill Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by otalldon, Jan 10, 2010.

1. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hi,
    I live around Center Hill and have gotten the cat bug again recently. My grandfather and uncles got me hooked when I was a kid, they were trot liners. I prefer reel and on light tackle, (8 pound test). That's just me. Anybody else out there fish Center Hill much?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. festus

festus New Member

No, I have never fished Center Hill Lake because there are so many good lakes within 20 minutes to 45 minutes away from me.

But let me tell you something interesting about Center Hill Lake. I used to read in Sports Afield and Fur, Fish, and Game magazines that the channel cats in this lake are more likely to be caught on artificials than your average TVA lake. I really don't know why. But slow trolling deep running small red and white crankbaits on light line were really effective. Walleye fishermen were the first folks to discover this.

3. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thanks for the info Festus, have heard similar stories like this of guys also catching cats while bass fishing with platic worms. Has not happened to me, but one of my brothers caught a cat in the 10-20 pound range on a finesse worm once. I have fished some and done ok but not spent too much time in it on catfishing up here on Center Hill and I don't hear much about other guys fishing it for cats. So I am feeling good about spending more time on this cause it's not pressured much on catfishing...

4. festus

festus New Member

Don, I don't know if you ever heard of an outdoor writer named Carlos Vinson, he's bound to have died of old age already, but he lived in Middle TN and used to write a lot of articles about Center Hill Lake. If I dig around in some of my old magazines, some 40 years old, I might be able to find out more.

5. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee

thanks brother, can say the hill is an awesome place to have so close, when I was a kid always looked forward to coming up here from murfreesboro. Always wished I lived up here, now I do or have for the past 15 years.

6. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I get Percy Priest and Center Hill Lakes mixed up. Percy Priest is the lake you can see the dam from I-40, right?

7. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Yes, Percy Priest is on the east side of Nashville in I-40.
    I have never fished the Hill but I do alot of people fish jugs at night around the bluffs at Hurricane creek for flat heads.

8. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I'm getting old. On our 8th grade class trip, we went to Nashville. This was before I-40 was completed. We could see Percy Priest Dam under construction, from US Hwy 70 (I think). This was in 1967, and I'm pretty sure the dam was completed a couple years later.

I remember being on the headwaters of Center Hill Lake, but never fished it. We were down around a little community named either Baxter or Buffalo Valley on a back road somewhere. I'm thinking we were on the south side of the interstate and had been to either a drag race or a dirt track race.

9. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee

Buffalo Valley has a drag strip, think it's still up. You were fishing the tailwaters of Center Hill. Its popular for troutfishing, mainly rainbows and browns. Recently they have stocked brooks there too. Here is a link to a page about trout fishing below the dam. Lot of fun. http://www.flyfishtennessee.com/River_Descriptions/caneyfork.html

10. festus

festus New Member

OK, I checked out the site and didn't realize that was trout waters. Do they allow spinning outfits down there using spoons, Roostertails, and Mepps spinners. I was living in Carthage when I used to hang out at Buffalo Valley. Some neighbors across the street raced down there and talked me into going. That's been 30 years ago so I don't remember much. Other than the Buffalo Valley dragstrip was a pretty wild, wide open place!! I saw a couple of fights. Most of the time I was in Carthage, I either fished below Cordell Hull Dam, Goosecreek, or Bledsoe Creek on Old Hickory. Ha ha, we used to also fish on the job at the TVA site on evening shift. It was either that or sleep.

11. festus

festus New Member

Can't blame you for using light tackle. But this past year I got my line busted so much I usually carry at least two or three rigs with at least 17 to 20 lb test, nothing more than 30 lb test. I didn't start seriously catfishing until this past September. Before this I caught my personal best catfish on either 6 lb. or 8 lb. test on a 5' ultralight spinning outfit with a spool not any bigger than half a dollar. The fish was almost 40 pounds. It was right around the 4th of July in the late 1980's. The reason I remember was all the fireworks. The fish was in pretty open water other than a culvert. It swam into the culvert about 4 times under the highway, but I could guide it back out. We weren't seriously fishing, just down there to get away from home. We were getting ready to leave, and I was gathering my stuff up. I threaded the hook with the remaining 4 or 5 nightcrawlers and then the monster hit. If one of my friends didn't happen to have a dip net in the trunk of his car, I would have never landed it. I thought the fish was too big to eat, so we let it go. Back then we didn't think about carrying a camera. I got another catfish that night that was 3-1/2-4 lbs, and I ate it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    There are some some nice Flatheds in Center Hill...

13. festus

festus New Member

Is Center Hill a fairly clean lake? Many of the lakes over here in East TN have precautionary advisories about eating the catfish, stripers, and sauger. However, maybe a couple times a year I'll eat some small cats under 5 pounds anyway. The only clean TWRA lake within a 45 minute drive of me is Norris Lake. But it's been called the "Dead Sea" for years because the fishing has gotten so bad. :angry:

14. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yeah I have been rethinking this...Got a couple of heavy action rods I am going to rig up. Plus talked to my brother about running some trot lines too. It's like a family tradition....Would work good for times I can't spend the night fishing.

15. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yes it's a clean like, and clear too. Very similar to Dale Hollow just north of here. It's got good walleye fishing and bass is pretty good, mainly smallmouth and kentuckys. Very deep lake. I am not afraid to eat anything coming out of Center Hill.

16. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yeah I am trying to yeen myself of my untralight tackle using mainly powerbait and go to fly fishing now. Can tear up the rainbows, as many as 100 a day. Deal with flyfishing is you can catch the bigger fish with it. Browns won't hit powerbait, but they will hit a roostertail. Have not been able to go for 2 years, son was hurt bad and had to tend to him. Yep the caney is awesome troutfishing waters, lot of fun festus.