Cell Phones...Can You Hear Me Now? Good!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Was just wondering what cellphone carriers and what brand/model of cell phones everyone is using.

I use US Cellular...due to it being the one that comes in best in the ample rural areas around these parts of Se Kansas.

I have a Motorola Razr...and have absolutely zero complaints.

My wife has a Motorola Krazr...she likes it...but I have a hard time seeing the advantage over the Razr...it's much cheaper...and has a longer battery life to boot. (My phone will go 1-2 days longer than hers or my neighbors will)

My daughter and my mother-in-law have my two old Razr phones that I got when we were with Cingular...which IMO...is way too expensive for their service...and seemed to be out of coverage way too often.

Who are you with?

2. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    I use a Sony-Ericsson K750i on 02 (uk) network.

It's got a 2 gigabyte card in it so it doubles up as my MP3 player as well, I've currently got 60 movies on there & 250 songs & the card STILL isn't even half-full.

I'm well happy with it!:wink:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    US CELLUAR old kyoceria that needs to be upgraded and then I dont know what I am gonna do

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    US Cellular w/standard issue Samsung in which the battery runs down every other day just searching for a tower. We have to go out and roam around the yard to make a call.:confused2:

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    US Cellular works the best in this area.
    I installed a signal booster in my house so I can get dependable service there.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use Verizon and have a new GZ1 from Casio.

It is supposedly shock restistant and water resistant.

Since I have dropped 2 phones in the Muskingum, 1 in Wills Creek, 1 in the Intercoastal in Englewood Fla, and 1 in my bait tank, I thought it might be good to be proactive. :cool2:

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use Nextel. If I were to just stay around home, and never leave the state, then I would love my phone, but Nextel's prices are high also and their customer service sucks. I will say that my Motorola i560 is very durable. This is the 2nd phone I have had from Nextel in 7 years and both were essentially bullet proof. They are always on my hip, and take a lot of abuse in the foundry industry. If I leave the state, I never know what kind of service I will have if I am farther than 20 miles from interstate.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use ALLTEL. they are the best ou here, and i get service everywhere. it comes in handy when you are upriver and no-one elses phone works.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We use Sprint and have for several years. It's worked for us most any place in the states, Alaska and Hawaii with no roaming. Plain Samsung phone, no complains about it. Had SWB and Cingular before Sprint.

Our very first mobile phone was in the 80's, it put out a full 10 watts power. Installed it in a motor home, the wire I ran to the battery was almost the size of a main battery cable. But it would reach out and touch!

At home we also have a cable phone through the local cable server.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That sounds like a reactive move.:big_smile:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I am extremely happy to say I DON'T have a cell phone and dont intend to have one.Al Gore is full of crap!!! The hole in the ozone layer causing global warming is not from emissions its from TRANSMISSIONS.Every time you fire up that cell phone you are causing Microwaves to bounce off of the ozone layer.Since everyone is yapping away all day and most folks cant survive anymore without consulting with someone about everything,you are slowly eroding away the protective ozone layer :smile2::big_smile::eek:oooh:.How in the heck did my generation ever survive without talking to someone every 30 seconds.Nothing more frightening in my mind than being stopped at a light and seeing a woman with 3 kids in the back seat and a cell phone in her ear,while she tries to complete the turn with one hand.I DON'T want to be that connected.I dont allow them on my boat which has a vhf radio and I never allow them when me and the family are on our annual ski vacation.I go to get away, not drag the daily load with me.My home phone is part of the cable system so when cable goes out I dont have any phone.I case of emergency I bought a TRAC phone at Wallys with minutes.No one has the number its just for me to use in case I need it during a power outage.Disconnect yourself and live longer.:big_smile::smile2::wink:

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I hear that...how did we ever get by before cell phone technology came to be?

They say that 70% of all stats are made up on the spot...as is the one I'm fixing to throw in...it seems like 80%...or better...of the people I see driving down the road have a cell phone pressed up to their face.

Even scarier...many people TEXT while driving...how insane is that??

I picture a wreck happeneing...a witness calling or texting a friend about it as it just happened...and getting into a wreck themselves because they were distracted!

I sometimes wonder why I even have a cell phone...hardly anybody...except my wife or kids...call me...and most of the time it is something that could have waited for a face to face conversation.

The cell phone is sometimes considered by myself to be another form of a ball and chain.

On the other hand...it is a very useful tool in a medical emergency...an Amber alert...or reporting a crime in procession...such as drunk driving, a robbery, or an assault....or when your vehicle breaks down...or when at the grocery store asking your wife what she said that she wanted when you weren't really paying attention...versus grabbing an item that WAS NOT on the list...resulting in a certain degree of browbeating...and taking your happy a$$ back up to the store. :smile2:

13. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a Samsung phone and no complaints with it so far.

Now My provider is another story. I have had Cingular for 3 years, no complaints. (well not any major ones anyway)
    But now it is not Cingular, it is the NEW AT&T!!!:angry: Suddenly, my bill is higher, and I don't have service alot of places that I used to have great service. And, if I don't have service, say in the backroom at work, that phone don't even show that I missed a call. :angry::angry:

With the amount of money that I spend a month for 4 phones, they better figure out the problem soon or they may just have to listen to me on a daily basis for 6 months.:smile2:

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas

Lol...They won't care if you call 10 times a day...they outsourced those jobs a long time ago.

Raoul in Calcutta, India would be eager to talk to you that often...all that means to him is that he doesn't have to wade the rice paddies anymore...dodging venemous Cobras and man-eating Tigers.

Your calling is his job security! Lol

15. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a motorola phone which is very sufficent if all yu want is a phone. My servie is with cingular or now at&t and I get better caverage than most carriers in these parts. As far as the money is concerned I found a way around that. I dont use mine very much ,I think a cell phone is for emergencies like already stated before. I bought a prepaid phone and loaded with 100$ which doesnt expire for a year. I just reloaded it for the first time and I was only 3 days from my 6 dollars left ran out. So how does 100$ a year sound, I think its pretty cheap to be able to call for help when I get in a bind on the boat.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    US Cellular, Samsung u520 or something like that.

US Cellular has hands down the best service in the area, AND, they have unlimited incoming mins.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I also love the free incoming calls...as well as free mobile to mobile as long as it's a USC customer...and the ultd. nites (7 pm-7am) and weekends.

I also have ultd. texts and Easy Edge...gotta love the weather channel option...as well as being able to check sports on ESPN.com...or change my fantasy football lineup on Yahoo.

I also have a game downloaded...my all time fav at that...Jeopardy.

Cell phones sure have come a long way since the old bag phones from only 10 years ago.

18. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Some of us HAVE to have a cell phone. It has created an entirely different career for many people. I spend a lot of time on the road at different facilities and sometimes its my only way to contact people. Also, in a plant I used to work for, there were almost no phones on the floor. A coworker and I used our cell phones to communicate while I worked on the equipment and did some troubleshooting. He was on the other side of the equipment running the controls.

I do like my unlimited walkie talkie with Nextel, but nothing else.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Our plant issues cell phones to supervisors...the Nextel walkie talkies...even though there are plenty of phones on the floor.

However...the rest of us aren't technically allowed to have cell phones on the floor.

I say technically because I work on the night shift...and am off all by myself doing set-up...never seeing the supervisor unless I go looking for him.

My work gets done...so I suppose they figure that no news from me is good news...lol.