Cell phone use in school.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wil, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    theres a new rule at our school that if a kid is caught with their cell phone out for any reason that its taken away for a month(thanks to the new principal). i had mine out for literally 2 seconds to use the calculator and i had it taken away.. it also states that teachers cant have theirs out either or itll be taken away but i have yet to see that happen but i also see alot of teachers using their phones during class.. so my question is this, can they really take away someone else's phone for a month cuz they had it out and in my case were using it for school.. i dont think they can and if they do they should be made to pay the bill for that month.. but its been said that the subject has been taken to court and the schools win every time.. on what grounds? i dont see how they can do that

p.s. some of you will probably accuse me of whining.. im not whining i just dont see how they can do that and have it for a month to boot..

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    THEY DEAL WITH A HUNDRED OTHERS TOO THAT GOT THERES TAKEN....TOUGH LOVE!!! It happens but im sure you werent "using the calculator" bro come on I went to school too and thats not what my phone was for LOL TEXTING!!!! You should bring up though that they are not enforcing this on the teachers which sets a bad example and is actually unjust to the law/rule itself right?

3. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    Its all part of growing up I guess we didnt have cell phones when I went to school I could lose my job if caught using my cell so a month without it isnt that bad. sorry rules are rules dont be the guy saying well look at those people using their phones, you got caught take it like a man next time hide it better more power to the ones that dont get caught yeehaa

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am glad your school came up with this policy. School is a place to learn, not talk on your phone. I have a 16 year old Niece at home, she has a cell phone, she takes it to school with her, and if it rings in class and they take it away, as far as I am concerned they could keep it the rest of the year. When your cell phone rings in class it disrupts, the teacher and all the other students. I have been in college classes and this happens, where I pay money to learn, people have no consideration for others.

My advice to you is you know the rules, if you dont want to loose your phone, I would leave it at home. The other option they have is to suspend you, the school is doing you a favor, they want you to get an education.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    The school my son goes to has something like that ,the first time you get got they take it for the day the second time the parent's have to come get it and IF there's a thrid time it's held till the end of the school year,LOL as far as am concerened they can keep that D@$m phone forever:smile2: Teach the kid's school is to learn not to text each other all day long:wink:

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Wil, you are there at your parents expense and mine, to learn. when you reach adulthood things will look different. take care of business at school, and save other affairs for later:wink::big_smile:

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i dont have texting.. if i need something from someone i call them theres no point in texting and ya i was using the calculator

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Calculators are about a buck at Wally World. Next time, don't have your phone out.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I alway's thought you raised your hand in class to get the teacher's permission to do something:smile2: If that was me i would OF asked can i use the calcutator on my phone to figure this problem out or should i use my finer's and toe's again lmao

10. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Wil sorry to disappoint you, dear, but you don't need a phone in the classroom AT ALL... If there is an emergency, the office has a phone.

As far as the teachers having a phone... I don't use a cell at school but when I do it is NOT in front of the kids. Our principal does demand that we not take calls on a cell in front of the students, but are free to call back if we go private on prep or lunch. At any rate, students HAVE to accept the fact that they are not yet on the teacher's level and we as adults can do some things that they can't. :big_smile: When you get your degree, come talk to me! LOL I am not trying to make you mad hon, but that is LIFE.

The reason for all that is complex. Cheating on tests, Selling drugs, etc...and it can all be done by texting.

At our school they can have phones, but must be OFF, and OUT of SIGHT. If one goes off in class or we see it out it's auto detention, we pick it up and the principal holds it for the day, student picks it up at the end of the day and is instructed not to let it happen again.. If it happens a second time, it's ISS, and the parent must come and pick it up from the principal. It can lead to expulsion.

Also, don't be too quick to blame the principal....here it is mandated by the state due to abuse by the kids in class, etc. with some leeway in how we handle it, but not much. So are alcoholk drugs, tobacco and pagers, all those things the state says that we must include in the handbook and gives us set penalties for them, we don't just say we think we'll do XXXX (whatever the punishment is). Just an FYI...Your state may be getting on board with this stuff as well

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Win some, lose some man. World's not fair. Hard lesson to learn, but it's one that will save you a lot of grief if you learn it early - especially when you apply it's corollary (nobody likes a sore loser):smile2:

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ouer girl takes her cell ph to scool but mine and her moms rule it goes in her locker and stays thear if she breaks ouer rule and scool ends up with it she not only has scool to deal with but me and mom as well i suport the scool rules if thay let you get away with it all should get away with it you are no better than any one els sorry bud thats just the way it is follow the rules and you can keep the ph. you got a scool hand book go by that book and stay out of trouble

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Heck when I was in school, we weren't allowed to use calculators!!!!!!

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    right on sisster thay should go back to ouer days for a day i bet thay would see things a little diff i remember the good old days when you got outa line that butt got lit up and yes mine glowed a few times i was no angel but i lernd from it

15. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    obey the rules and the phone wont get taken away,you go to school to learn not chat and text with friends...take it out to use the calculator? they should take it away just for that reason alone..

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have an 11 yr old daughter ,our school has the same policy. I agree with it . We have told our daughter that if the phone gets nabbed ,she will loose it permantly. no questions asked.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't read all the post on this thread.

Cell phones in school. NO!!!!
    Take them out. Zero tolerance on CP in school.

And Dont get me started on internet in schools.

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i went by the book and gave them my phone but there hasnt been one teacher that has gotten their phone taken away and that is also said in the rule book

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I only read the first post of this thread. I will read the rest. Ya are breakin my heart!!!!! I think they should be taken and stomped on then given back. You are in school to learn. Not chat with your "HOMEYS" or text somebody. Get a grip and pay attention in class. Now let me have it if ya feel a rebuttle comein on.:angry:

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Will you did NOT go by the BOOK NO CELL PHONE'S MEAN'S NO CELL PHONE!!!!!!!!! Stop worrying about the teacher's and man up to you not listening to the SCHOOL RULE'S!!!