CELL PHONE TROUBLES!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. MRR

    MRR New Member

    Messages:
    4,947
    State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Friend of ours house caught fire around 5 this morning,.Not much fire damage and a bit of smoke damage.Their youngest daughter was sleeping in bed when she woke up and said it felt like she had flames on both sides of her legs[she did].Bed was on fire.She went to bed with hair dryer plugged in and a Cell Phone plugged in laying on bed.Bed catches fire .Burnt her on her leg and cheek.Nothing real serious thankfully.Anyways fire dept said cause was hair dryer but what I want to know is if that why wasn't dryer melted and wires burnt.However The Cell Phone was melted but not the plug in.So I'm thinking the battery overheated and started the fire.What you all think!!
    Least everyone is OK except for a sore leg and cheek.
    So watch those plug in folks.
     
  2. festus

    festus New Member

    Messages:
    7,660
    I've never heard of a cell phone fire, but I don't trust electric blankets
     

  3. restorerancientiron

    restorerancientiron New Member

    Messages:
    1,061
    State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have only heard of one cell phone fire.It was not an urban legend though , it was a friend.His iphone caught on fire , also while the charger was plugged in and he was asleep. Luckily it didn't catch anything else on fire.I have heard reports of a recall on the first iphones that came out because of this.What brand /model was hers?
     
  4. plainsman

    plainsman New Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    7,187
    State:
    minnesota
    I got an e mail awhile back, it warned of the dangers of talking on a cell phone with it plugged in to the charger. There was a picture of someone's burned hand. Charge the phone, then talk. Not saying it happens often, but it is a possibility. Be careful. This time of year with all the eletronic gadgets being handed out and Christmas trees, lights etc, there are a few fires. Glad everyone there is OK.
     
  5. BIG_D

    BIG_D New Member

    Messages:
    8,107
    State:
    Batchtown IL.
    John i am like you sounds like the ph. to me glad she is ok
     
  6. Mickey

    Mickey New Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    14,592
    State:
    Illinois
    I would bet the problem was in the phone. Glad no one was seriously hurt. Maybe a valuable lesson learned.
     
  7. bluejay

    bluejay Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    8,502
    State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have heard about the cell phones but nothing to back it up. Good post John.
     
  8. olefin

    olefin New Member

    Messages:
    3,908
    State:
    Texas
    Sounds like the cell phone but those guys are suppose to be the pros? Was this a volunteer fire dept?

    We have never gone to bed with a cell phone charging or a laptop computer charging. Although my cable modem has a backup battery that's plugged into it's charger 24/7. But I believe it's a different type battery.

    I Google cell phone fires... Here's the first one listed.
     
  9. MRR

    MRR New Member

    Messages:
    4,947
    State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Was this a volunteer fire dept? The answer too that one is a big ole
    YES they are.
     
  10. Catpaw

    Catpaw Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,186
    State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Not sure of what caused the fire ,But i remember a while back there was a HUGE recall on some cell phone batterie's that where knowen to catch fire?
     
  11. Cell Phone. Hair dryer was plugged in but not on.:wink:
     
  12. flatheadslayer

    flatheadslayer New Member

    Messages:
    5,834
    State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    :0a10:
     
  13. :angry:
     
  14. olefin

    olefin New Member

    Messages:
    3,908
    State:
    Texas
    Then I wouldn't put much in what they said was the cause of the fire.
    We have a hair drier that's been plugged in for many years. Most hotels have hair driers that are plugged in all the time.
    Unless she left the hair drier on it didn't cause the fire.
    Google list plenty cell phone battery fires. Some are from using improper charging equipment.