Cell phone instrument of death

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GS-Rock, Feb 28, 2006.

1. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    This was also on Pittsburgh's WTAE channel 4 News.

Never, ever answer a cell phone while it is being CHARGED!!

A few days ago, a person was recharging his cell phone at home.
    Just at that time a call came and he answered it with the
    instrument still connected to the outlet. After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud. His parents rushed to the room only to find him
    unconscious, with a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers.
    He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was pronounced dead on
    arrival. Cell phones are a very useful modern invention. However,
    we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet!

please tell everone you know about this

2. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    the statement may very well be true but there are for sure facts that were left out. was the kids hands wet, did he judt wash his hair, did he just get out of the shower so on and so forth.

the danger i see isn't from them being pluged in but from the people driving and talking on them. u have people younger ones that don't have the driving time under their belts to even try and drive a car and talk on the phone.

take a good look at the causes of accidents on the roads u will find that usage of cell phones are in the top 5 causes and they are higher accidents of younger drivers.

lets take a look here: on the highways speed limit is ruffly 70 MPH people using cell phones will slow down to around 35 MPH to make/ answer their phones, not be aware of the traffic behind them of the traffic in front of them i have seen truckers almost rearend people because they are on phones. lets say ur on ur cell and ur buddy tells a funny joke ur cracking ur side lose control and bam ur laying on the side of the highway same could happen if ur wraped up in the conversation.

you see i don't see cells being a instrument of death because of a freak incident that could have been because the kid had wet hands or even wet hair. I'm sorry that this has happened but there are several ways of getting shocked:1. having water on ur handsor standing in water while pluging in /using electrical conponets,2. faulty wiring,3. faulty equipment.

the kids family has left ot some details of the the incident.
    i don't use my phone when its pluged in anyways because it bruns up the batteries memory and it doesn't last long when u do so.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    wow thats weird. I will usually talk to people while the cell phone is charging

4. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    While this is a tradgic accident, I would not believe that this happened solely because it was a cell phone. Electricity is a very dangerous thing that we all too lightly take for granted in everyday use. In the course of my career in the electronic field, I have seen many ugly accidents including a few I would prefer to forget, but this will not stop me from using electricity. I believe this accident could have happened with any electrical device. On top of the problem in the phone I would also believe that there was a problem with the house wiring where it was plugged in.

This is a great reminder to all of us. Please . . .electricity can kill. . .

Always be aware!

Always seek help from a professional when working with house wiring. Proper grounding is required and most codes are in place due to accidents like this and many others.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Either you got some bad info or it sounds like your Pittsburgh's WTAE channel 4 News is hurting for current news, as this event was first reported on the Internet in 2004, and it happened in India.

Please see http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

Here is a direct quote from the 2004 Internet email:

After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cellphone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud. His parents rushed to the room only to find him unconscious, with weak heartbeats and burnt fingers.

Notice the exact same wording?

Details from Snopes:

Origins: Though it is possible these could be two separate items, the e-mail quoted above appears to be a retelling of an 11 August 2004 news story out of Chavara, India. According to articles by the Press Trust of India (a news agency) and the New Indian Express (a newspaper), K. Viswajith was electrocuted when he answered his cell phone while it was plugged in for recharging.

Snopes.com is your friend!

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i ain't buying it....that transformer (which is what the c-phone charger is) will not provide that kind of current or voltage

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That story and many others have and do occur. While other circumstances may apply, dont forget that not all phones are created equal! They have been know to blow up while just charging. The problem that I have heard the most about are the knock off batteries. LX phone was one, that dangerous and infeiror batteries were causing explosions!
    "Manufacturing standards vary from country to country, so it should not be assumed all cell phones are built to the same specifications no matter where they come from, or that the quality of workmanship is consistent across the board."
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

8. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Phil,

What kills in electricity is the current(amperage). It only takes a small amount (milliamps). This small charge can disrupt you heart beat which is run by small charges. As for burning and charring many other factors come into play that I can not verify without being there.

9. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Whether this happened or not,it's not for me to judge,however,after reading what i just read,i'm now paranoid about talking on a plugged-in phone.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I talk on mine all the time when it is charging never had a problem. It sounds like a story to me.

The cell phone works off of DC current and the volts are very low. I dont think it could provide enough juice to hurt anyone.

Now on the other hand the guys wet hand dripped enough water to get tot he 110 outlet that would be different. JMHO

11. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Ok, my question is, if you live in "OK" how did you get the pittsburg station here in pennsylvania??????????

I watched myth busters and they couldn't get a cell phone to ignite gasoline without helping it along.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Agree with Tulcat and Phil.

Sounds like another Internet hoax to me. :rolleyes:

13. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I'm an Electrician and like i stated it could have wel ben a faulty charger in India they use 220 not the 110 we use here in the states.

It only takes 1 amp to kill you yes 1 amp can can knock a grown man on his knees

Ulitsh: you are very correct.

14. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    there is nothing to be paranoid about just as u have been in the past give electricty its respect : "I don't like water, I don't like my wires crossed, i don't like my wires showing, if either of the above happens I will let you know just how much I dislike it, use me wishly "

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Me too! I wont do it anymore though, thank's for letting me know!

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    As I said before, it is not a myth, faulty batteries can and do explode and cause fires!
    Over the past two years, federal safety officials have received 83 reports of cell phones exploding or catching fire, usually because of incompatible, faulty or counterfeit batteries or chargers. Burns to the face, neck, leg and hip are among the dozens of injury reports the agency has received.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is providing tips for cell phone users to avoid such accidents and has stepped up oversight of the wireless industry. There have been three voluntary battery recalls, and the CPSC is working with companies to create better battery standards.
    http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/24/Worldandnation/Faulty_batteries_blam.shtml

17. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    wow that is wild i'm sure there was some reason for him to have been shocked like that being wet or something... Well i dont think it will stop me from talking on a pluged in cell phone...

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its an old urban legend.

This e-mail made the rounds about a 1 1/2 years ago. It proves that people will believe anything they see in an e-mail. It was so believable that I had a guy at the Verizon store warn me about it.

Remember the one about talking on cell phones while pumping gas? Another one that could not be proven to be true.

Talk, its ok.

19. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I've never had that problem. I have one of those old nokiea brick phones. I always talk on it while it's charging. There was probley something wrong with the outlet, or something other than the cell phone. Oh well you never know.

20. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thats bizzare.makes me glad i dont own a cellphone