Cell phone antennas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slabmaster, Apr 26, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i need better reception at my home on our cell phones. we have brand new motorolas wwith a jack for external antena. has anyone used these devices ? do they work? what brand would you get ? i have had good luck with wilson on cb equipment.

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a good question.I have to go up the road a couple hundred yards to even get a signal.I live under a hill.
    I would like to have an external antenna myself.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    well im hopeing someone has some input on here if not im going to throw my 60 bucks at a wilson . ill give you a report asap which will probably be a couple of weeks depending on delivery and such

4. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I didn't even realize you could still get external antenas anymore. I know when my dad used to have one of the early flip phones when they first came out that when he put it on the car carger..it hooked up to a box under his seat and worked like a second cell phone and made his reception really good for the time. My guess would be that they are probably pertty good investment if they improve your signal as much as his did.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

That was a whole different ball game than just an external antenna for a portable phone nowadays. Those old "car kits" would boost the power from .6 watts to 3 watts. But adding an external antenna to your phone should make a difference. I use one for my phone when I go fishing sometimes and it works pretty good. I hook the adapter up to a magnetic base styly antenna and try to get the antenna up as high as possible. I have no idea what brand it is though. That probably doesn't matter much. $60 seems a little high though, is that for the adapter and antenna? I'm not real fluent on pricing though, I was never on the sales side of the business.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The best reception I have ever got is when I switched to cingular, they have excellent service. Mine is a nokia 6102 and I get service everywhere I go with no roaming.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I bought one of those wireless things that stick on your window and supposedly improve reception. I think they are just fakes and don't do anything. The one you plug into your phone may work, but I wouldn't recommend the others.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i used to have cingular and got service almost every where. Where my dad lives in blue ridge its hard to get any service to work but cingular seems to always work now that ive just switched to tmobile i dont get a single bar out at his house

9. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cingular is what I have.While it does work better in most areas it doesn't work at all for about a 30 mile stretch out towards my parents house.All my other carriers always worked fine out there.At my house I don't figure any would work without an external antenna,since I live under a big hill.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont have any problems with reception. My problem is I run out of cord. Cant seem to get past my shop with phone before my cord stretches out to its max. Maybe I need a longer cord. :rolleyes:

Seriously. AllTel never gave us a problem years ago.Picked up anywhere we used it. After 5 years of having it, we upgraded, they said our phone was out of date. Made us get new one. Then the problems started with reception and bill problems. Long story short. I had too many problems. Mine is at bottom of lake for 3 or so years. We canceled.

My wife has an extra from my Son's service just for emergencies. After trying them all he says Cingular is the best but his and wife's still drops calls all the time, barely pics up at lake if we are lucky, standing on one leg with coat hanger in other hand wearing a tin foil hat. LOL.
    Maybe I will tell them about this antenna thing , if it works for yall. I think My wife an I are going to break down . Get one of those buy your minutes phone for emergency use only. I think we can get 2 cheaper than her using my Sons one extra phone. I dont need but a few minutes a month. I'm not a big fan of phones.

I got a question about cell phones.
    Years ago, reception was great for us. Now with more people having them, and adding the pic sending , Text messaging, internet, all the bells and
    whistles plus all the other wireless stuff out there, . Do you guys think that could be the reason of poor reception. Everybody using up signal resources. Just a thought. Maybe antenna wont really help that much. I'm just asking and interested in this antenna thing.

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    when I was driving cross country I used to see them for sale at every truckstop! a lot of drivers told me they work great but I was too cheap to forkout $60.00
    so, I'm not sure but I wish you well!

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    come and fish with me sometime and bring your phone . my service is cingular no roaming supposed to be the latest and greatest. i can show you a bunch of the ozarks where your phone wont even flicker.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I had USCellular, never had a problem with service, switched to Cingular, lots of places around Tulsa where no service. Switched back to USCellular at the beginning of March, no problems. My phone even works in the elevator at work, and no other service can be picked up in the elevator.

duxsrus was right when he said that hand held cellular service uses 0.3 watts.

By adding and external antenna, you can increase your range by about 30-40%

Brand shouldn't matter, just make sure ya find one that will match up to the connection on yer phone.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I didnt say that my phone would work at every corner of the earth, I just said I have had the best of service with them. I get signal where my sprint phone never even dreamed about getting it.

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I bought an external antenna, mounted it on my roof with a 12' pole and it did just enough to tease me. It is a yagi, I think that right, expensive as all get out and it is omni directional meaning you have to point it right at a tower. Now that's harder than you think when your in the hills around Lake of the Ozark. Called my provider and asked where the closes tower was using gps coordinates and they told me. I was surprised but they did. I took my gps, found it and then re-entered the coordinates and went back to the house and started walking. The arrow pointed right where the tower was and we lined it up with that. Didn't help at all, so I have one heck of a fancy antenna on my roof that looks cool. I'm looking into a amplifier. Supposed to pick up a signal and multiply it and then send it via a wire to your phone. You send in reverse, your phone sends it to the amplifier, it multiplies it and then sends it to the tower. Takes it up to 3 watts and increases range by up to 50 miles.
    http://www.alternativewireless.com/...ntennas/wilson_cellular_amplifiers/index.html
    Check it out, can be used in a car/boat or house with adapter.