Cedar wood for boat bench?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by DANZIG, Jan 7, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Bench seats and the board on the outside of the transom on my 12ft V bottom project.

Any reasons why not??

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    The only down side I can think of is cedar isn't a very strong wood. It does resist rot pretty good but it will water log easily. You will need to bolt through the cedar mounting your motor as just tightening the screw clamps won't work, the wood compresses to much and the motor will losen up on you.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmm.. That could be a problem.
    I was looking to match the wood between the two but I may have to mix with Oak I guess, I still think I want the Cedar on the benches.

Thanks!

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    cedar also "stains" from not using galvanized fasteners.

I would suggest cypress. It is as rot resistant as cedar, and much tighter grained. A very solid wood.

Just my 2 cents

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree...cypress would be a good choice, but it may not be locally available, and it is pricey, when you find it.

There's cedar, and then, there's cedar. Are you talking about western red cedar, eastern red cedar, northern white cedar....?

Exterior plywood, with a coat of paint, would be my first choice.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Was looking at WRC. Just going for looks, hanging a 4 hp and not too worried about longevity.

It's a pretty simple boat, even if it had to be replaced every other year it would be no big deal. 'Spect all the wood on her could be replaced in a hour, counting beer breaks.:big_smile:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Works for me, bro.:smile2:

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    What about plastic decking boards? No rot, and i've used it on a boat transom before with no problems.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good idea Matt. Never would have thought of it.

10. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey I think cedar would look good and if you are not worried about having to replace it often then go for it.