Cedar River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Cat_man_CF, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello all, new to the site and I think its great! (First Post) I live in Cedar Falls now moved here from Nebraska so still locating holes and good cat spots on the mighty Cedar river. I've been having good luck with the channels but am still looking for the flatties!!?? Which has been a challenge, I've heard to go south of the 4th street dam to get any flats, I've gone as far south as LaPorte so far but still looking. Anyway thought I'd throw a Cedar river post up and see how you are all doing. I've been tearing up the channels on sonnys lately but the flathead pole has been silent. Look forward to chatting with you all!!

2. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well judging by the response I take it there isn't many who fish the Cedar. Went out last night and finally found some flatheads we tried a new spot with pretty good success. Ended up catching 2 flatheads around 5 lbs. and an 8 lb. channel. We lost a big fish but we'll get her next time. Flatheads came on a glob of crawlers and the channel cat and fish we lost taking down large chubs. Anyone else fish the Cedar??

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I haven't fished the Ceder in years, but I used to have a Brother in Law who farmed in Gilbertville. We would fish and do pretty good on the Ceder. We would sometimes tube down the river and float fish just for fun. Keep us posted. I live in Keokuk, in the very S.E. tip of Iowa in case you ever get this far. Later Andy

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Welcome to the BOC Mike! I used to fish the Cedar alot when I was a kid. Man is it a great channel fishery! We used to do some bank polin' also and did pretty good. We would always look for concrete chuncks that were dumped on the bank for erosion and would stick a pole just upstream from them. Other than that, I am not much help man. Oh yeah, we used creek chubs most of the time with bluegills as backup. Hope this helps a little! Keep us updated on your quest for the Bigun!!!!!!:wink:

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    The Cedar river is aswome! There is alot of good structure. I attended a gathering in Waterloo and we had the Gathering at Black Hawk Park. We pulled out some monster channels. I know for a fact there are big flatties there.

Jaime

6. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We fish on the cedar south of Cedar Rapids. I haven't had much luck catching flats this year but I am new to it. We caught 5 flats two weeks ago but that was on bank poles, so I don't really count that. We always seem to find channel cats though. Good luck

7. trapperray

trapperray New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been fishing the Cedar in the Black Hawk county area for years, not the best flathead area, now for Channel cats its great. Most flatheads I find are south of Cedar Rapids, a few north of there. Kinda sad we lost our bait shop, Dicks (Freds) in Cedar Falls, ole Fred would give you plenty of good advice, just had to sort through it to figure out what you really wanted to know, and yeah Dale was full of good info also, will miss that bait shop, one of a kind, later Ray.:roll_eyes:

8. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Welcome! I'm a new member stumbling around this site also. I fish the Cedar at the mouth with the Iowa and up it 5 or 6 miles. Flats are pretty common around that area, and channel are like any place else I guess. I think (hope) this cold front that just came in will turn em on. Good luck.