Cedar River , from Cedar Falls to Cedar rapids

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by nitrous mike, May 17, 2009.

1. nitrous mike

nitrous mike New Member

State:
    waterloo iowa
    Just wondering if any one has had any luck on the cedar river fishing for flat heads. My brother and I are limited to only shore fishing since we do not have a boat.

2. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    The cedar is great for flat heads. Set bank poles with bluegills or bullheads for bait. I use a piece of rebar in the bank with a pvc pole slipped over the rebar. Use big hooks and 150 pound line. Good luck

3. nitrous mike

nitrous mike New Member

State:
    waterloo iowa
    Thanks man, I run muskie rods and abu reels with power pro muskie line. I usually use 9 inch chubs for bait. I haven't had any bites this year yet so hopefully I land a lunker lol.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Mike, I wanna catch em on a pole too but the same advice was once offered to me as a way of finding fish. If you don't have another way, it's at least something you can do to see if an area holds the fish you seek. The best habit isn't visible from the surface sometimes, especially when the water is high in the springtime. I like riprap because it's really easy to read.

5. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Mike,
    Welcome to the BOC. I would look for deeper water with good cover in it, like a big ol snag. What ever baits you use make sure they are alive for Mr. Flathead. Also night time is the best time.
    Good Luck!
    larry

6. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    IA Flatcatter. How bis is that flathead in your avator?

7. BigCat21

BigCat21 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish the Cedar River in Cedar Rapids just down from the roller damn and caught 2 5-10 pounders last night on live bluegils, right from the bank.

8. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    mike i may just have the spot for you with you being in waterloo. i used to live in laporte and boat fished for channels ALOT. if you go east out of laporte city on the highway that goes to brandon you will cross the cedar river. if you park on the west side of the bridge you can walk down under the bridge. There is a PILE OF WOOD that has caught on the bridge pillers that looked to be steller from shore. there was enough wood that i was shearing pins on my small boat motor so i aborted the mission. i never did try it from the bank. it would certainly be worth a drive down. also there was alot of 7-15 ft of water along the bank in mcfarland park which is run by blackhawk county conservation. it has lot of wood along the banks as well. good luck~!

9. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is there anything going on in the Cedar around Waterloo. I'm gonna be in the area in the area in a week or so.

10. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went to Mitchell Pits again. I started out by breaking not one but two fishing rods. Umm, I sh** thee not. I left my kayak with a friendly family fishing from shore and drove to Walmart. $32.00, two new rods, and less than twenty minutes later and I was back on the water. That being said I almost gave up on fishing within 20 minutes of starting.

After I short break I was back at it. I chatted with a family on shore as I was launching and exchanged one of my big chubs for one of their sunfish.

During my first drift I landed a ~3.5lb cat and gave it to the people I'd met on shore. As I was leaving shore I announced "My next fish will be twice as big, nay three times as big!"

Right towards the end of my second drift I proved my statement correct. After the hookset I got the fish near the surface and was absolutely stunned at the distance between the tail and the head of the fish, I had another 10+ lber.

I got into shore to get some pictures and show off my catch. After an extended discussion with my shore family about how much they wanted this fish I let it go very much alive. It was just over 30 inches. I just consulted a chart online and based on the length estimate I would estimate the weigth at about 12.5lbs. Woohoo!

So I got back out fishing. After several hours I'd landed a total of 8 fish, and decided that I'd do one more drift. I rigged up my largest bait and rethreaded my other bait and went to it.

Towards the end of the drift I got a good hit on my rerigged (and smaller) bait and started fighting it. I got it to the surface just in time to watch it make a quick lurch towards my anchor line. Within a few seconds it was wrapped repeatedly, to the point where my anchor line was carrying the weight of the fish. I pulled up my anchor line and wrapped it around my big toe to hold it while I unwrapped the fish.

Just around this time I got to thinking about my great big bait and how much fun it would be to get a good hit.

Just as I fully wrapped my head around the full implications of that thought I got my good hit on the good bait.

Ok, you probably need an update. I have a 5ish lb fish in my left hand (in the water), this fish is wrapped in the anchor rope, I have one rod in my right hand, I have the anchor rope wrapped around my left big toe... oh, and I'm getting a good hit on my other rod in the rod holder.

So anyway, I flipped the fish into the kayak and grabbed the other rod with my left hand and set the hook. Good hookset, fish on. Another good fish.

Unfortunately in the process of flipping the first fish into the boat the hook came out of the fish and stuck into the meat on my left leg (this is a nice 5/0 super sharp circle hook). In order to take the pressure off of the hook in my leg I had to pull my left leg up (the one holding the anchor by my toe) and bend it behind me. Oh, yeah, I still have a 5lb fish in the boat and a nice fish on my other line.

So anyway, I got the second fish up to the boat and hauled it in so I could start figuring out what the f**k to do with the fish that were quickly piling up around me and the hook stuck in my leg. I think at this point I had both fish hugged up against my chest, one rod over my left front shoulder and another rod over my right rear shoulder.

I decided that this was a good note to end the night on and also decided to keep the two fish that challenged me to a duel to the death. Oh, I got the hook out of my leg, I didn't even bleed.

So yeah, 10 fish. I would estimate the average weight at like 6+ lbs. Most of the fish, including the big one, hit in less than five feet of water. The shallowest fish I landed was in probably 2 foot of water at the most. There were times when I was drifting very quickly in 2-5 foot water when I would have fish tapping both lines almost constantly. If it weren't for the fact that the fish were hitting like crazy I would have thought that I was too shallow and the drift was more than twice as fast as was 'fishable'.

So the 15lb channel is on the way, I feel it. I think I'm going to catch it in Mitchell Pits too. Maybe I'll skip 15 and jump straight to 20.

I'm starting to have my doubts about flatheads existing in this body of water in any large numbers. I still haven't caught one there. I need a few 12"-16" suckers and I'll find one if he's there.

Dave.

11. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sounds like a great day of fishing Dave. I live in Des Moines now but I origionally came from Waterloo. I always thought there were fish in that lake but never really fished it. Nice catch.