Cedar river fishing

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by sltrnsam, Oct 8, 2006.

1. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well i went and checked out a few spots last sunday 10/1/06 on the cedar river in cedar rapids, water temp was 58 degress. i figure that the fish would be deep so i headed down to a old quarry off the river and trolled for three hours, was a good call i caught 8 channels and two flatheads. most fish where caught in 18 foot of water, i did this cause i had a tournament in this area saturday 10/7/06.

my partner and i headed back to this spot and from 7:00 oclock am to 2:00 oclock pm we caught 21 channels for 85 pounds, are biggst was a 9.5 pound channel. needless to say we won the tourament, all we did was troll back and forth. the second place team had 9 fish for 38 pounds. not a bad way to end the year for tournament fishing. next weekend i will be heading back to the same spot with my brother who is coming down from south dakota with this cooler weather coming the fish should really start to pick up. i also have another spot a nother old quarry that a friend and i caught 31 channels in six hours last fall most likely i will hit that spot to. october and cooler water spells great fishing, i used to put the boat away in september but not any more.

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton, thanks for the update. We'll plan a mississippi trip...soon.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    clayton, you sir are just amazing. that is 2 tournys in a row for you with an ungodly number of pounds. In a few years from now and about 600 more hours on the water (to add to my many hundred already), maybe i might be able to hang with you... until then. i fished my home sectioin of the mississippi on sunday morning for a couple hours... one nice one hooked, and a couple half assed bites. tough conditions for trolling, a cross wind and every time realling in had vegetation on the floats and bait that the river was full of. I got friday afternoon off... any takers on goin out fishin around here or i will travel?

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave, don't encourage Clayton too much. His head's already so big he can't hold the phone to his ear and talk at the same time...:lol:

I'll be out of town til Friday late evening. I'll be in Fargo wed-friday. Wish I had time to do the Red River thing. Keep posting on here, Dave. Maybe we'll get a chance to get together. After I saw you on Coralville that day, I was inspired to make a new board/c-clamp/pole holder contraption for the back of my boat. Not so sure I like it for a two man trip, but I can actually fish 3 guys using 5 poles now. A little tight, but doable.

Mike.

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats funny, hah hah hah.

6. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds like a good place to fish