Ceader Creek boat ramp

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mavmannate, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Anyone ever use cedar creek boat ramp near desoto??? the water is pretty shallow it looks like.... but does it get deeper, and is the water rough anywhere? im not comfortable yet for the RAPIDS OF KANSAS lol... i cant do current yet....

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I wouldn't go out there in any boat I didn't think I could drag off a sandbar, it's pretty shallow in places. The last time I launched there in low water there was barely 6 inches right there at the mouth where Cedar runs into the Kaw. Once past that I couldn't get but maybe 200 feet upstream. Downstream is a little deeper, but going downstream is also a good way to get stuck even worse if you ground out and have to fight the current to get unstuck.

All that said, I've launched there quite a few times in medium water with no problems. It's a pretty nice section of river. Rapids are no worry, it's as calm as you will find and good for small boats and motors. Right now it should be pretty good, but it's supposed to drop a lot by the weekend.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=eax&gage=dsok1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One more thing, be careful of submerged rocks as you approach the mouth. I usually cut the engine and used the paddle through there.

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I might add even if you can only make it to the mouth there is some good fishing right there off the mouth. On the far side in a rock bank that kinda of stair steeps out. Have had good luck for flatheads there. :big_smile:

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I just might try that this weekend!

6. CaTfIsH90

CaTfIsH90 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    HAve had some luck fishing right off the boat ramp to the left of ramp. 25 lb flathead caught in that small hole but now I think there is a fat tree laying across it and its pretty gnarly with poison ivy and what not now. Anyone know of any other good flathead holes off Cedar Creek?