CCC Meeting with NCWRC Biologists

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Sep 11, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    We had a great meeting with the biologists from NCWRC at the Carolinas Catfish Club on Wednesday.

Several biologists presented the information they have gathered so far from Lake Norman and Badin Lake. As we have said before, we are in the beginning stages of the research, and right now they are in a "gathering phase". While the data collected so far has been compiled, there are still too few samples to make any determinations. The plan is to keep collecting fish over the next couple of years.

Comparatively speaking the ongoing striper research being conducted on Lake Norman has analyzed over 1,000 stripers through the years, and the catfish research on Badin has around 100 fish.

Part of what biologists are figuring out is what is the best way to collect the sample fish. Some of the younger age classes of fish are relatively easy to collect, while the older fish are much more difficult. This is new research, and many of the techniques used to collect stripers, largemouth bass, and crappie, do not work for harvesting catfish.

One interesting trend so far is the age of the 32” fish that are being protected on Lake Norman and Badin Lake. So far, with the limited samples collected, the 32” fish appear to be around 10 years old. Another interesting trend is that the growth seems to increase at a steady rate, but this could be skewed by the limited number of large fish aged. Over time as more fish are collected we will have a much clearer picture.

A quick reminder that biologist from the NCWRC will be at the Carolinas Catfish Club tournament on Lake Hickory collecting samples for their research on channel catfish on that lake. They are very interested in the channel catfish in that lake and our anglers should be able to provide them with some samples. Everyone is encouraged to keep all the channel catfish they catch so that they can be weighed, measured, and weighed.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Wylie, did they mention what kind of methods they were using to collect samples? I've never done much freshwater sampling so I don't know if they use nets, traps, shocking or what. I know I've seen some nets in Sutton a couple of times and I assumed it was the state doing research, but I don't know.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, they are currently using shocking and gill nets. They have found that if they use low voltage in deep water they can bring up blues as far away as 100'. They come up for a minute of two swimming around in circles, so they have to act quick to net them. A sixty pound blue (23 years old) that they got at Badin Lake wrapped itself up in the gill net. It was too big to go thru the net. Said they were lucky on that one.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it's really hard to get big fish in a gill net. Even with really big mesh the bigger fish can get out of them. Most of the bigger fish that my buddy McLean gets in their samples just get wrapped up, they actually aren't gilled in the nets. Same on the Cape Fear in the shad nets, they don't really get caught in the net, just tangled. Did they mention anything about trying jugs or trot lines in specific areas to try and get some bigger fish to sample.

Oh and Wylie/Mac, the growth rate increasing is quite common. The growth rate increases with the size of the fish up to a certain point where it kinda tapers off. Did they give any specific growth rates (lbs/year) or did they just say that the growth rate increases with size/age of the fish?

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, they said that the sample was too small at this time to do the study info. that you mentioned in your last post. The SC DNR has that kind of info. for Santee Cooper. Send them an e-mail and they might send you a copy.

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Great meeting last night guys. I enjoyed it and it was very informative for me. Dieter can you send me the contact info for the Biologist that I was talking too after the meeting. I cant remember his name but he is the one who has Lookout Shoals and Hickory. I think he told me it was district 6.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, you asked about limb lines and other methods of catching blues by the DNR folks. They ruled out limb lines due to the fact that they might catch and damage fish that they don't want in the study. The use of jugs has been tried in several areas, but for some reason they were not satified with the results, mostly small cats. They did mention something about trying out some hoop nets.

What amazed me was that the lake they thought they would have problems getting samples, they got all they wanted. This sampling revealed one thing to them. They sampled seven or eight spots/areas on Badin Lake and each time, the results were the same. There would be one area that produced rather large cats, another that had medium size cat and then another nothing but small cats. They seemed amazed that the cats cluster together as to size.

Also, the gill nets that were left overnight were more productive in 30 plus feet of water, vs shallow areas.

8. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    The different states share lots of info however growth rates will vary from lake to lake. Ability to sample also differs from lake to lake. Electrofishing for catfish can definitely be tough. As far as some of the other gear types some may think hook and line would be good but it is labor intensive and could you imagine all the crap on boards like this, the newspaper, etc - "state workers fishing on taxpayers time"

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Here is some more stuff the NCWRC Biologists informed us of from the creel surveys.

During each gasoline crises boating on LKN went down by 60%. Also, 60% of the fishing done in the fall and winter is from the bank. During the creel survey period, only 6% of those fishing were catfishing and close to 13% were doing a combination of catfish and striper fishing. The pure catfishing numbers only represents day time fishing as do the other types of fishing. The highest percentage of fishing on LKN was bassin.

10. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i showed the state guy how to use my stunner he wanted to buy it, but not for sale,

11. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Right, sure. :smile2:

12. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    as you wish:tounge_out:

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    BTW Cobra, we were told it is illegal for you to stun fish outside of the waters where it is legal to harvest fish through shocking in NC. Even if you do not plan to keep them it is illegal to use electrical devices to stun fish.

We spoke to the biologist about it at the meeting and he contacted a wildlife officer while we were there.

So, be careful. :wink:

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Now Wyilecat do you really think our good friend Cobra would use any illegal devices to catch fish. A jugger would never consider doing such a thing.

15. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tommyhatchett
    watch it bud

16. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    not worried about getting caught, you gotta see it before you can catch me, anyway not to worried about getting caught, but i am sure couple guys in here will have the game warden on wylie wasting his gas.

that is like the gill nets i found in wylie, not the states but bunch of mexicans nets told the game warden and all he said was i gotta see them unload the nets, nets are still there and the beaners look them everyday, i will not say another thing to the game warden because he has been told,
    i can set on the pie:wink:r and watch them check the nets

17. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think you are trying to say i would do something illegal, wait till i see you on the lake i am gonna buzz you and cut your lines

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea , well I bet the will go over well for ya .

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    :0a19:

Would probably be the best thing to do.

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Now Wyilecat do you really think our good friend Cobra would use any illegal devices to catch fish...."

The truth of the matter is that Cobra never said he was catching or harvesting fish with the stunner. He only stated he was observing what came to the top when he shocked them. He stated it was his understanding that what he was doing was legal as long as he did not harvest the fish. He even said he did not have rod and reel, or jugs, with him when he did this.

I made the post about it being illegal so that he would not get in trouble, and to let other folks know it was illegal so that they would not get a ticket if caught.

We all know that the chances of getting caught doing anything illegal on the water is slim. Our wildlife officers are seldom on the waters patrolling or checking folks. We have to hope that most folks will obey the laws and work to protect the fisheries, and the best way to acheive that is through education.