CB's... who still uses these?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gunner-Fisherman, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one in each of my trucks and cars, great for listening on the road for wrecks and speed traps...

I was told the other day from a friend that I am living in the past, most people don't have CB's anymore... I refuse to believe that but maybe I am just hard headed?

So I thought it would interesting to see just how many people still use them...

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    We still use them...great form of communications....have a base station in the bedroom on the nite table and 1 in each truck.....its free (as opposed to cell phones), and you dont hafta remember phone numbers. I talk to my husband all the way to work on bad weather days just to be sure we each make it without any problems...If your friends think you are living in the past...maybe they arent up on the technology edge as much as they think they are...see who gets through to someone in a bad situation if there are no cell towers round in an area. Dont pay no attention to them and keep on keeping on....this is the one and only Ladyranger pullin straight back, over and out.....lmao.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've still got mine. I haven't installed it in the new truck as yet though. They are the greatest on road trips. Just turn down the squelch and listen to the truckers. You'll know just where each radar cop is sitting waiting for you...or you can tell them. They appreciate it too!

Also good when you get los...er miss a turn and can't find where you was going.

Most county deputies have them in their squad cars and if an emergency arises, you can get them or a base station on channel 9.

Also good when 2 or more vehicles are traveling together and you can BS back and forth or tell them you are stopping for gas, food, rest areas, etc.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Still got mine in my Pickup.Would be lost without. Been talking about putting one in the neighbors boat ,so when were on the water we at least have a chance of getting back in case of trouble. Been there done that. Don't talk much on it but good to listen to.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My wife still has one in her car and her brother has one in his truck. There isn't much conversation on them anymore. I made a 20 hour round trip to Penn. in December and turned it on. There may have been 20 minutes the whole time that someone was on it.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Would not travel the Interstates without one! Too darn handy.
    I liken it to being able to see 5 or 10 miles up the road.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    still got the big ole converted HAM that I used in the truck ,its in my pickup now an the wife has one in her truck . We use them often

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    You bet i have one. In the truck and on the boat. We run the cobra LTD classic 40 channel with a little extra juice packed in it. It does come in handy when i travel, but the NOAA weather band is the reason i keep the one on the boat.

9. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I still have and use mine. Have a cobra 29 ltd and the one i used in my Tri-Axle is a cobra 148 lt Have power to both of them. You cant go anywhere here in florida that someone is not talking on them.Same way in INDY there is always talk . Drove a Tri-Axle for 36 years and have been retired for 3 years now . Started talking on them when they were only 23 channels.

10. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I still have one in my pick up that I use every time I leave the house

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one but have not used it in years. If more people had them like they did back in the 70's it would be fun again. Back then seemed like everyone had one. But then again now that I think about it...we can not "drive and use the cell phone at the same time" so I guess its a good thing more people don't use CB's any more!LOL

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Got one in the boat and it is used for emergencies.... (none Yet) and for listening for the NOAA weather bulletins prior to going into the ocean.

bayrunner ray

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I got one in the house and one in my blazer .Alot of people here have them in and we talk on them way upin the night. lowside 24 if anyone come close to salyersville ky. just g ive Cherokee a shout :D 10-4 good buddy :lol:

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup, got a base and mobile. cobras:cool2:

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I got an LTD29 in my pickup. Great for going to gatherings when Bob is towing the boat for me.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    At one time I had cb's in every vehicles we owned and at home. Updated them to Ham Radios and spent hundreds of dollars more. Then came the Cell Phone. CB'S gone and the Ham Radios boxed up. I wonder what I'm going to need next to communicate something that could wait. Nice thoughts, thanks for asking.

17. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Mickey
    As far as Ham goes, since you have them maybe you can anwser a question for me?

Cobra sent me their 10 meter radio, at first glance it looks like a little bigger CB but says I need a lic' for it. My question is, is this just a ham or is it both, CB & Ham? It is sitting here on one of the shelves still. I know nothing about Ham radio but would like to learn.

Thank you
    Ron