cavitation plate

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Brentkeele, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    On one of my outboards, one of the rear corners of the cavitation plate is broken off. Besides effecting the handling, will this be a problem. The reason I ask is because a lot of times when you remove the lower unit on some older ouboards that have been neglected, this area is occasionally infiltrated with water and mud and muck. I am assuming that this will not have any negative impact on the lower unit. If I have not been able to explain it adequately, then I can post pics, prob tomorrow. Everyone's input on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If it were me,,, I would throw a "hydrofoil" on it and call it good.:cool2:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Try the motor on the boat that you intend to use... look back and see the water flow..... cavitation plate problems are only there in turns etc.... check it out.... whale tail... hydro fin... it you need it.... the test for that is getting up on plane.... the tail helps with that....check to see that it is pissing and water pump is working......

Bayrunner Ray

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Thanks guys, the water pump works beautifully ( I just installed a new one in it). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to do any mechanical damage to anything, were I to use it as is. I can deal with handling issues. I was considering throwing a hydrofoil on it to compensate for any of those handling problems. If I can find a similar motor for parts I intend to cut a piece off of the parts motor and tig it onto mine.

Thanks