Caverun

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rogers7, Apr 7, 2009.

1. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Was out on Caverun Sunday, water temp was 53 and the water was choppy on the main lake. Put in at Scott creek and shot across to the caney creek stump fields. Marked fish in 20ft of water, but no takers. Maybe I'll find them when the water temp warms up more.

Checked out poppin rock but the river channel was like chocolate milk.

I talked to alot of boats, and they all said there was no catfish in the lake...lol....of course they were fishing strictly for musky.

Beatiful day to be out at any rate.

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad to see you got to get out on the water. I fish Cave Run alot and catch a few but nothing big yet. The biggest that I have caught out of the lake is about 7 lbs. I have had several nice runs but no big hookups. I do fish from the bank, though. That could be it.
    A guy I know caught a 63 lb flathead last year at Leatherwood. So they are definately in there!! GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES!!

3. Wade16

Wade16 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Don't let those musky addicts let you down, Cave Run is home to very nice cats, of course I hardly ever fish the lake itself, I'm usually at the tail water, I've pulled very nice flatheads out when a lot of water was being let out. Even after people told me there aren't any flatheads there only little channels.

I've heard good things about Poppin Rock and Blackwater, I know where Blackwater is at, never fished there, but where is Poppin rock?

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    On 519 between West Liberty and Morehead.

5. Wade16

Wade16 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Okay, I live in downtown Morehead so 519 starts like right down the road, I've probably passed it 20 times going to West Liberty, might head up there later on since I got the day off.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Would love to here a report from poppin rock.

7. Wade16

Wade16 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would have defiantly love to have went there last night, my room mate and I went to Triplett creek at first, not the first bite. Then we went down to the tailwaters, really good run on this homemade stuff I tried out, but I was taking a piss over the hill when it happened. They weren't letting out a whole lot of water so the Licking River will probably be down again in Rowan, Fleming, Nicholas, Bath and Robertson counties, which means now I can throw my boat out there now that the current is dragging me away.

After hardly a bit of success we fished on the dam at Cave Run, few little bites on chicken liver, probably nothing. Not one fish was caught, but I have plans for Poppin Rock here in the next two weeks hopefully, it just seems like a long drive from here.