caution walmart throw nets

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by thecatman, May 15, 2009.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey guys just wanted to tell yall that the walmart nets over the past year have become really poor quality and the top ring usually breaks within 2-3 days and it takes all kinds of trouble to just get them to take it back i fought with them fo 45min yesterday trying to get my money back and had to threaten calling corporate before they would do anything at all about it and these nets are about 10$ more expensive than the local academy sporting goods store

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The net I have came from Wal-Mart several years ago, so I shouldn't have any problems with it. It has seen some Hard use.

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    good looking out there brandon. Im still without a net but you know how i feel about wal-mart too:smile2:. Thanks for the info though buddy!!

4. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    yeah i have never had problems with the walmart nets until they switched the company they were using now the nets are so poor quality they even rip in the smallest of pebble and sand bottoms but yeah after throwing the net about a dozen times and the ring busting i was furious and headed back and it was more trouble and time than it was all worth

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I have never had a problem with the nets I buy from walmart and never had a problem with them taking them back if they end up being rottin or anything.

Do you have more then one walmart around you we have 6 or more and if one gives me problems then I go to a different one.

I don't like the fact that they don't have lead on them anymore so what do you do with a broken net with these dumb plastic things on there atleast before I used the lead to make sinkers.

6. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i still use these new crappy weights but use them more so for trotlines and that was the only one close at the time but now after that i go to academy since its cheaper as well and better quality

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I am not sure what you mean by top ring. Is that the nets with a ring to cast them with?
    I have never used that stile of net .

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bought one of the newer cast nets from Wally world. I'm not at all impressed with the quality. Stupid ceramic/plastic weights. These new nets don't sink as fast in the water and don't open worth a darn. I'm going to buy my next net from Cabela's.

9. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    ive noticed that walmarts fishing department has really gone down hill this year. they changed suppliers and now they have nothing but junk havent bought a throw net there and now i know not too.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I bought the last two Super Spreaders our wal mart had so i should be good for awhile.

11. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    no not the expensive super spreaders the top ring i'm refferring too is the ring that holds the line that you grab to pull the net back open the same one that if its broken the net is useless its the ring that every net has to have in order to drop the bait/open the net back up

12. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Ours has too! Used to have 3 isles, now we have one! and its all crap! I went to get some bells for tomorrow and they didn't even have any. there is a lake four miles from the front doors of walmart, you'd think they would have a decent fishing department. And they completly took out the boating accessories area.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have bought two cast nets from wal-mart this year and the rings didn't break but the knots tied at the bottom of the net always came apart and need to be superglued. I also agree that they tear very easily...Also their selections of equipment is horrible...ughhh Wal Mart...:angry:

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    lucky me i guess. i've never had a problem with mine!!

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree. I dont buy much stuff from there. But the stuff I did buy from there, they dont stock anymore. Stick bobbers, big barrel swivels, and heavy duty stringers. all are discontinued. WTF? Where are they getting thier input for what they stock? The barbie bass club????

16. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    :smile2: Oh man, that is hilarious!!

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It probably wont be long states will start banning lead cast nets...Iv'e seen the new replacements:eek:oooh: it aint good for those of us that fish in the winter & throw deep for shad those steel weights will sink way too slow...from what iv'e heard all the new wal-mart nets are steel....

18. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I recently bought a super spreader net from Cabela's that came with non-lead weights. They are HUGE and not very heavy. I didn't think they were steel though. I'll have to take a magnet to them to see.

19. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I just came from the pond with my new crap net from walmart. What a piece of junk!!! I was looking at it and noticed "Made in China" on the top ring. So that means they are disposable, sucks that they are 26 bucks!

20. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    imho they shouldnt ban the use of lead its no different than mercury contents in fish as is and besides these new weight styles are totally trash the nets wont sink near fast enough or anything of the sort