cause of flooded motor - vent closed?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by team salmon, Apr 26, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I want to know - can failing to open you're vent cap on your fuel cell cause the presure to build and flood your motor? Also how often do most of you change your plugs? Any help would be appriciated - thanks!!!

2. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    I don't believe that there would be enough pressure to cause the fuel to be pushed all the way up to the motor. But, you could always disconnect the fuel line to be on the safe side.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Not sure if it would flood the motor or not, but here's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago:

Walked by my boat, and the grass was turning brown under the motor. Got to looking, and there was oil dripping from the lower unit. Though to myself "man, this motor is only 2 years old, it cant have a leaking lower unit already!!!". Looked closer and the oil was coming from the powerhead area. I always take my 6gal. gas tank out of the boat for fear of theft, but i hadn't last time i was out. I guess the fuel tank built up enuff pressure to push the fuel/oil mixture out. Took my boat out that weekend with no problems. Put tank in shed, and haven't had any leakage since.

4. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Yes it will. I have a friend who's boat is having a problem like this. If it sits in the warm sun and builds up pressure the thing runs like crap till you pop the cap and it will run great after that. All it takes is to remove the cap and let it vent and equalize pressure.

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    on most float bowl carbs the needel and seat will hold up to about 6-7 pounds of pressure,, so if the fuel tank is not vented it can build enough presure and by-pass the neddle and seat and completly drain your fuel tank :(

6. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas