Caught some whites today

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by txthumper1691, Feb 26, 2007.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Th wife & I went fishin west of stillhouse on th river today. She outfished me, she caught 3 whites, 1 while holding our 10 month old son, th cool thing was th fish they caught was also a baby. I only caught 1, 16.5 incher, hers were just over 13 inches, an th baby measuring in at 4 inches. Cant wait till this weekend when we take th rest of th kidlets, and let them catch their share. They were bitin on chrome slabs, and little george's, so if u like good quick action, and u dont mind catchin not just cats, then I suggest gettin some chrome lurres 1/2 to 3/8 oz, and try to get some whites. Good luck.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    All right it won`t be long I :smile2: haven`t saw a little george in year where can i find them

3. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I see them at Walmart all the time.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    YUP Wally world has'em. I tell ya, those and BONBERS full chrome and chrome w/black back like a shad are deadly lil lures. at least on this particular spot. I usually fish for whites in Mother Neff park w/a white or grey roadrunner or rooster tail. BTW, how do you clean them. I tried filetin them, but had a ruff go of it. Guess I'm used to cleanin non-scaley cats of a larger size. ppl have told me to just scale'em, cut off head and tail and gut'em, then cook, and pull out bones before eatin. What do y'all suggest?

5. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I use an electric carving knife and just filet them. MMMMM MMMMM Bring on the cornmeal !!!!!

6. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I use an electric knife also and filet them like you would a crappi or bass. That is the easiest way i clean them. Hope this helps you out. Shawn

7. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I like to use a Acme silver or gold spoon with a jig tied 8 inches behind it. Cant wait for them to start moving. Havent had the time for the evenings but havent seen anything here in the day time yet.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You guys talking about White bass? those things aint worth eating ,But a lot of fun to catch

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    yeah, were talkin bout white bass. I dont usually fish for'em, but i found a great spot to catch a big mess of'em. So I thought takin th kiddlets there an let them have some fun catchin a good mess of fish would be fun for th whole family. And they have been tearin'em up. 15- 20 per trip out now. An we only stay for 2 hrs. I am teachin my kids to hunt and fish for food. do NOT kill unless you have to, like your hungry, for for protection. so we dont practice catch an release unless its a trophy size cat.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Waste not, want not. Soak those boneless white bass fillets in your favorite venison/beef jerky marinade overnight, drain well, and jerk them like beef or venison. Try it; 2 out of 3 people think it tastes almost like the real thing. The stronger the marinade, and the longer the fillets stay in it, the less you can tell the fish taste.