Caught some Skipjacks

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by TONTO, May 13, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Left for Kentucky at 6am thurs. It really poured down on the way, was still raining when myself and JD arrived at Barkley dam. Well we suited up and began fishing, we caught a few but they were not biting very well for us, and also hard to keep on after hooking. Them little rascals can really jump. The morning passed with us catching a few every now and then. There were some locals really catching them to our left closer to the dam. The sun came out around 11 or so, the locals left and I moved to where they had been fishing, thats when the fun began. I had changed to three 1/16 ounce jigs with 2 inch white curly tails. I immediately began catching them, I had several doubles and one triple it was fun! We ended up catching 109 before heading home. All were frozen for future use. BethAnn and I took a package and went fishing on the big muddy the next day (friday). I am sorry to say she did not catch a fish although she had one good run on a live bluegill up a creek where I generally catch them. I managed to catch a 15lb blue a 3lb blue and a 6lb flathead. Both blues were caught on cut skipjack, the flathead was caught on a live bluegill. All in all it was a good day spent on the river with my sweetheart. (Mickey I really love that catfish safari rod, but BethAnn hasn't got that new purse or shoes yet LMAO)

2. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    now let's get those bank poles rolling

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thanks for the report, glad you got some

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Glad to here you stocked up on some bait. Sometime I need to make a run there to get some skipjacks.. I never fished with them personally.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    hey sounds like a great time. ive been to barkley dam and its really nice.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the report glad to hear that you caught some, skippies are great catfishing bait, glad to hear that you caught some on them keep up the good work and keep us update on the rest of your trips on how ya do.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tonto thanks for the feed back. Glad to hear you were catching the doubles and triples. You do need to get that girl those boots and purse. You know she might just claim that rod .:smile2: