% Caught on R/R

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I always hear a lot of talk on here about the preservation of "big" catfish. I don't know the numbers for sure, would anyone like to guess what % of big fish are caught on rod and reel compared to "other" methods? Example Trotline, Hoop nets and noodling.
    My feeling is that far more big ones are caught by these other methods and are far less likely to be released than if they were caught on R/R.
    I am not really advocating that R/R should be the only way to fish but if you want to make an impact you need to control what is doing the most damage. Just the facts as I see them.
    This theory has been proved over and over with salt water fish. The red fish is a prime example. As soon as they stopped commercial fishing them they made a huge recovery and let’s face it Hoops and trotlines are commercial fishing on a small scale.

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree ,not sure what the % would be but I don't think a person should be allowed to set lines or jugs with hundreds of hooks for as far as they want ! In my opinion most of these lines do not get checked as often as they should,most of the fish caught are probably hooked so deep that if released wouldnt live anyway.I have set lines to ! but not over ten or so at a time and only one hook per line,and I never left them over night,and were checked often. I know of people setting a hundred lines down the river for miles at a time, this I dont agree with. just my opinion !:smile2:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I agree Alan I think a large% of people around here meat fish with trot lines and limb lines and keep every fish they catch.I wouldnt mind if they eliminated it.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i wouldnt nessairaly blame the mythod for catching as mutch as the person doing the catching. i would agree that alot of line setters are irresponsable not checking there lines enough or at all. ive seen far too many lines left behind:sad2:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with that one post I think most of the blame does go on the fisherman for not throwing the big ones back but I agree with you totally I believe if they would throw them back and let them produce they will become more productive.

6. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i agree with this but sometimes its the people doing it who wont release the big fish when they catch on trotlines and those other methods

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If they fish trotlines they are strictly meat fishermen and never release fish.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Up and down the Marais Des Cynges in Ottawa,Ks, there is a setline every 10 ft it seems. If there is no name, number, info on it, the lead is mine !!! Sucks though because most of these hillbilly poachers just use a brick with some 200 lb. twine and a couple of hooks. Ive told the story before about the old bait shop in Ottawa with the 4 or 5 photo albums full of pics of 20-100 lb. flatheads going all the way back to the 70's. Its a shame. All i can do is check these setlines, and if they are not properly managed, cut the line and keep the lead, and Ive heard it before , that these guys will shoot me, we'll they better be quicker to their gun than I am to my KBar. :smile2:

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Ok Guys I dont reply to many of these kind of post but going to on this one.

I have seen the liners out there myself over the yrs that have been left behind their sets and I cut them also but I dont think everyone that sets lines should be judged as meat hunters.

I know a few that fish this way and release everthing they catch.

There will be a few more out there this yrs with the new jug reg and I would hope they too CPR their big fish.

But I also see many BIG R&R fish hanging in bait shops and in grarges,driveways that I know are being butchered.

So are we too judge every person setting line's and assuming they are killing everything they catch.I dont think so.

How many of you that have repsonded to this thread have ever set a set line?? Was it just for fun?

Not trying to get anyone stired up just making a comment.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don’t begrudge anyone who wants to run lines to put a few fish in the freezer or just because they enjoy running lines. A family that goes to the lake for a week of vacation and runs a trotline while they are there, more power to them. What I do have a problem with are people who harvest thousands of fish a year, year after year, the bigger the better, and people who put lines out for weeks or months at a time. It’s legal, but the people who do this could care less about sharing the resource. They are the main reason that we have ever tightening harvest restrictions in most states, something they are no doubt the first to complain about.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I agree with you Gary.If those people out there taking tons of fish out and not giving the respect to the resource of the fish then those are the ones I have a problem with.

But if someone want's too set some line's and take a few small one's that they catch I have no problem with that.

I just hope there are few of these kind of meat hunters out there.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The question is not what methods are used to harvest, but the number
    and quality of fish harvested. As long as limits are observed, there
    shouldn't be any real problem with the population over the long run.
    I think we should do what we can to popularize the concept of CPR
    amongst our own membership and not make moves to change Kansas
    laws on harvest methods. I was concerned about noodling, but after
    long thought I figured that it was a fad that would die out on its own.
    Sixty eight people per year are drowned across the US because they
    lose fights with fish bigger than they can handle. I think they've paid
    for their fish, guys. Look at it as genetic editing by the environment.

13. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thank you Gary this was exactly what I was talking about!

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    You're right there Brandon, we've found numerous abandoned trotlines on Milford lake, specially after a holiday weekend, and of course, some with what would have been some real nice Bluecats, dead and decomposed on the line.:angry:

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I agree with you and everyone else whole heartedly Tom, it's not the method for catching fish, but the irresponsibility of SOME of the individuals doing it. R/R, bank or trot lines. My son and me used to trot line, to me, it's more like work than relaxation. I begrudge no one the method they prefer, as long as they do it responsibly.:wink:

16. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    i hate wen i come across lines like that with 4-5 fish dead and roted on the line. jus today i found a set line someone had got hung up and left under lincoln street dam on the ark :angry:

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    look at gus. he goes and setlines the river alot, but he usually only keeps one or two fish for table fare. they caught a 60+ lb flattie last year and threw it back to get bigger. hes a good guy about fishing like that. not everyone is though. i run trotlines every now and then and run alot of limblines, but we hardley ever catch anything over 10lbs on the trotlines. when we do keep fish though we dont waste any of the meat. it all gets eaten. we always pick up our lines too. we like to reuse em, that stuff gets expensive if you just leave it out there. the biggest fish we have ever kept was a 15lb flathead. if i catch anything much bigger than that chances are he will get thrown back or thrown in a local town pond, so chances are a young'n could hook on to him. anyways thats just my .02 cents worth.

18. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    now donnie thats wat i mean if more people had urs and gus mentality on limblining,trotlining,ect. then i think it'd help out with fish populations:cool2:

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good to see all the conservation minded post,you guys are the future of fishing. it gives a man hope for the future, my hats off to you guys. i do foresee more cats on my table this summer though with this economy:sad2:

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

i heard you there. ill be moving out to the boonies with my uncle and we done got a big area for a garden dug up. we do alot of fishing to so we will be going back to our roots and living offa the land. we aint no stinking vegetarians!!!:smile2: