Caught my first turtle - by accident!!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by boswifedeb, May 12, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We went fishing at one of the ponds on the farm where my hubby works Saturday nite, and I caught a turtle - by accident!! Needless to say, he WAS NOT happy at all!:eek:oooh::embarassed: I was definitely worried about getting hime off the hook, but just as I got him to shore, he got loose on his own. Talk about relief! Anyway, it got me to thinking, how do y'all get them off the hook without getting killed - catfish gloves? Hopefully I won't ever have to worry about it again, but if it comes up, I want to be ready.:roll_eyes::wink:
    Thanks,
    Deb

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    depends on what kinda turtle, i use needlenose pliers on most, snappers get to keep the hook:big_smile:

3. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yeah, that's what was going to happen if I ran up against much resistance!!:crazy: Thankfully he saved me the trouble!
    Deb:smile2:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gloves other than leather will not provide much protection from the crushing force. use long pliers. and be careful and ready to move quick.:wink:

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if its a snapper or a softshell cut their heads off and let em bleed out then take em home and eatem. if its a stink or paint or anyother kinda turtle just use pliers.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea ive fished at a bunch of rivers before and caught some good size turtles that was like big fish fighting on the hook usually once I get the turtles in the bank I just usually cut my line and put a new hook and stuff on my pole, glad to hear you caught a turtle, good luck on your trips here on out.