Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing down at the boat dock in Maysville, KY (my normal spot) Wednesday. The water level was fine, but was still little muddy. I picked up a pole that the line had went slack in and there was something on it. It felt decent. I got him in close to the edge and saw him. It was a small mouthed buffalo, about 3-4 lb. size. I got him to the top of the water and started to reach for my dip net. I have to reach over a safety rail that is about 4' tall, and the water is about 2' below the bottom of the concrete. It can be a good stretch at the best of times. Anyway, I guess he wasn't hooked very good. (he'd bit on a liver sack using a sized 4 circle hook) Anyway, he spit the hook before I could get the dip net in the water. I learned last year that several other fish species like chicken liver. I've caught buffalo, small stripers, hybrids, white bass in addition to channels.

That is the second fish fish I've had get away this spring. I guess circle hooks aren't really made for fish with a sucker/carp type mouth. Anyway, that is my best guess. At least I got to see this one. The bites are coming, but slowly. Hoping the warm days ahead improve the fishing, if the monsoons will just stay away. (lol)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.