Caught my first shad ever today

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Montgomery, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    went fooling around with my through net. and actually got a few decent throws. managed to catch about 12 shad really small. like 2 to 3 inches. they were very very skinny. paper thin. so i dont think they will work much. i vacumed sealed them and throw them in the freezer. that should hold them for a while shouldn't it ? and how big are some of your alls bait tanks at home ? and how long can you keep live shad in it until you can get out to fish???? i'm hudge into aquariums. so i have 2 empty 55 gallon fish tanks. so 110 gallons all together. any suggestions??? and the shad seemed to die very fast . wasn't in my bait bucket longer then 1 45 minutesif that. a 5 gallon bucket is what i use. and tips or info would be great

2. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    If there threadfin shad try to keep in a Dark ROUND container and keep covered, depending on the temp refresh the water 3-4 times a day. And the big gotta do---rock salt!!--NO Iodine--I've kept shad alive for a week plus this way. Also, 15 gallons water is good for about 2 dozen shad and use about a cup of the salt---too many shad in the tank causes a die off (scales & Amonia(sp)--

Oh ya, and 2-3 incher are a perfect size bait for....The Bigger fish's!!

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It's best to catch the shad the morning you intend to use it. Frozen shad turn to mush when thawed.

The trick is keeping the shad fresh, not alive. They are very difficult to keep alive as you have noticed.

Put about 20 pounds of crushed ice in a large cooler then sprinkle a couple of hands full of rock salt on top of it.

Empty your cast net, dumping the live shd directly on top of the salted ice, closing the top to keep the cold in. The shad will flash-freeze and will remain fresh for several hours on top of the ice. If the shad sink into the icewater, they will soften as they absorb water. You may want to put an opened ice bag over the ice to keep the shad out of the water.

The shad will remain fresh as long as they bleed when cut.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike, i have a 100 gal. rubbermaid tank, it runs 12 months. Shad are difficult to keep alive, esp. in the hot months...i usually don't use them for live baits for flats. So i really don't try too hard to keep them alive. However, i have before......you have to obviously keep the oxygen levels high, and don't handle them too much...in fact don't touch them if you don't have to. They are as precious as ....i dunno, but they are:cool2:

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They are tuff to keep alive. They need a round tank so they don't get into the corner, stress out and die. Shad are not very smart. Use the non-iodized salt. Not sure how much, a cup to 10/15 gal, like Snake Charmer said. Charcoal filters help.
    Maybe Doc Lange will get in on this, He knows a lot about Shad.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jammer is right.. the salt replaces the layer that is often taken from the fish when handled... i use salt in my tank along with sure lifes' better bait. this helps the fish maintain there nature state. and the salt also helps in the healing of any scrapes or accidental mishandelings.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Your aquariums will not work to keep shad alive. They will literally beat their selves to death running into the corners. Those 2"-3" ones work great for channel cats. Just throw 2 whole ones one the hook and go for it. I have found that freezing them works pretty good. I would much rather have them fresh, but always have some frozen just in case. Once you thaw them I would not recommend trying to refreeze them. They turn all mushy the second time around.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont even bother to try keeping them alive ,just catch what I need for the outing and keep them on ice throw any leftovers away after cause they dont keep after being frozen.

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Mike, where did you catch them? I'm going to try at a local lake tomorrow and go fisshing on Saturday. I normally try to just keep them on ice. I like putting 2 or 3 little ones on a hook for eater size Cahnnels.
    Good job with the net! Keep Practicing.

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  11. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    theres to old ponds that the state opened up for fishing . they sit very close to the river . which floods into them . they say there about 30 feet deep in spots. and they have caught 15 inch crappies there. its in vandalia ohio

12. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and my buddy have a rubbermaid tub, we keep shad and live bluegill all spring and summer, we ahve it airated and we feed them all spring/ summer. The key to keeping them alive is oxygen, keep the water moving with the airator(s) And get a small airator for like 10 bucks at jack aquarium or wherever to put in your 5 gallon bucket when u catch em. This keeps them lviely till u can get em home to the big tub.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike my best baits for may and june are big live shad over 10 inches. Usually when the water temp is below 65 degrees I can keep 8 or 9 alive in a Plano 12qt and an aerator for about 20 25 min. Thats from catch site to fishing site. If you can get them on a hook ASAP they will live all night or untill a big flatty eats them lol. I didn't check that link to the library supplied before but there are several plans in there to build a shad tank. I'm currently building one myself. I need more than 20 minutes of travel time lol.