Caught my first official flatheads this weekend

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jconna, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Albeit, with a little help, I finally got into my first flatheads. (Thanks to Joe "Great Pappy Jack"). I had worked all day, was already a little tired when I got a call asking if I was interested in going out on the water with him that evening. Needless to say, I jumped on it. I can't say that I was quite expecing to put a 25 hour day in and not come off the water till the sun was up the next morning, but I wasn't exactly complaining either. He put us on fish pretty quick and just a quick, I proceeded to miss quite a few in the beginning. LOL (sorry Joe) I had always thought of myself as a reasonably competent fisherman, but he showed me a few things that I had never put much thought into with some of the other species that I've fished....I'm used to bass slamming a tube, crank, or topwater, or a channel grabbing and about ripping my rod out of the boat, but these flathead seemed to hit a little different. I would say that one of the most important (in my opinion) help factors was being shown how to adjust the method that I used in my hook set and the reasons for it. Made all the difference in the world later in the evening and I started hooking up a little more consistently. Anyway....I would like to publicly thank Joe for sharing his techniques, his patience, and getting me that first flathead. Very Cool!!! Thanks

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Hey Jeff your welcome. Well half to do it again sometime.Ill post some pics later on my thread. We got into some bigger fish on sat and mon night. The bite really pics up around 3:00 am so if we go out again it will be an all nighter:cool2:.Ill be fishing over the holliday weekend so if you want to go let me know

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good job both of you and congrats on your first.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Jeff on scoring your 1st Flathead! :cool2: Tip of the hat to Joseph for showing the way! :wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great fishing trip. congrats on the first of many flats.

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on your first flathead. Heck of a guide you got there too.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds great Jeff you had an awesome teacher. I am sure many more flatheads are coming your way...I am myself learning how to deal with these guys...I was used to channels usual snatch and run technique myself...Congrats to you and Pappy Cat...

8. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    Congrats Jeff! Sounds like you had a blast! After the first one, they all start to come a lot easier! Good Luck and keep us posted with your success.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first flathead! You will learn to fish all night the more fish for Flatheads. I have seen the sun rise 4 out of the last 6 times I went out and would have kept fishing if I had bait left.

10. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Congrats on your first flattie! Now you've got the bug :crazy:

11. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    way to go on your first flatty. I'm sure you'll start bagging some bigguns now.:big_smile: