Caught my first cat on a circle today, and a question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by g3l33m, Oct 17, 2009.

1. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Was out at Four Lakes in Illinois today and was catching cats as fast as I could get the Secret 7 on my size 6 treble hook... for a little while anyway. After catching a couple though they were all getting hooked with 2 or more barbs and sometimes both the tops and bottoms of their mouths got it so it got to be a pain in the butt getting the hooks out. I've always used regular J and treble hooks but have some circle hooks and read about using them here so I figured I'd try one. I rigged a 6/0 circle hook with half a Team Catfish red tube and some Secret 7 and cast it out. Well, I know you're not supposed to set the hook with the circles and it didn't much matter on the first one cuz he half set himself and I half jerked it too early, which brought the hook up in the middle of his upper jaw instead of the corner of his mouth, but after that I was getting small bites and didn't know what to do. They weren't really loading my pole up so I didn't start reeling down on them and I didn't want to set it because I want to see how they are supposed to work but what are you supposed to do when they aren't bending your pole for long?

Thanks for any advice,

Greg

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    that happens to me too, i think what it is, is theyre comin towards you. so you get a little pole twitchin, but not much. i usually can tell so ill grab my rod and slowly reel in to see what the deal is. ive caught countless doin that to me.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I always reel down on them no matter how hard they hit. Works for me.