caught in castnet

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ronniethomas, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    I was out last night trying to catch some bait w/ my castnet and ended up catching a 6'' walleye and a 7 1/2 lb carp when i was just trying for chubs and bluegills. I guess it just got me wondering what kinds of fish people have caught in cast nets when they were out trying to catch bait?

2. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Someone posted in the flathead section a couple days ago they got a 20lber in their net. Guess it tore up the net pretty bad.

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    caught a channel cat, a small gar, drum, and a mess of gills before. The channel i thought was a log snagging my net. :smile2:

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have caught most everything in my net including a new net but the most memorable was at chickamauga dam I caught a 16 inch crappie then the next cast a 16.5 inch crappie. I havent legally caught one that big in years.

5. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    man that would suck, but woulda been worth it IMO

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I threw my castnet once around a stump and caught 4 keeper crappie in one throw.

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I threw my cast net off of bridge in Appalachicola Fl and lassoed a 7 ft tarpon.Almost didnt live to tell about it.Never put loop around wrist again.

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    a gar
    gills
    shad
    carp
    cats of all kind
    drum
    chubs
    shiners
    mullets
    israeli carps
    crappie
    bass

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    It would be easier to list what I have not caught in a cast net>:tounge_out:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I bagged 3 cotton mouths & 5 copper heads all in the same net:eek:oooh:
    Wasn't good either:tounge_out: it was very odd they were hanging out together though....

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have caught the following in a cast net through out the years . gar. gills. shad. carp. drum. crappie. bass. buffalo. big head carp. channels. yellow bellies. stripers. walleye. turtles. and 1 rod and reel .

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:eek:mg i would have been gone :go::go::go::0a22::001::0a17:

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    And a partridge in a pear tree!:wink:

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I was at bagnell with Seth and he almost caught about a 40 lb paddlefish in a cast net.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've caught several bass and carp up to 10# in my cast net. the worst thing i've caught thay ruined a new net was a big snapping turtle. i also saw a picture this past spring from a guy that caught a big musky in a cast net on smith ntn lake trying for shad in 30 ft of water i think. catsnstripers may remember more about it than me.
    chip

16. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    with that many snakes in one net i think that i would've considered that a lost net and went to the store to buy another one. How did u end up getting them out or did u?

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alligator Gar, a crappie bigger than I have ever caught on rod and reel, lots of sets of 2 largemouth (never caught one, always two together), Hybrid strippers, lots of carp, sauger and catfish.

18. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

Yes i got them out..:eek:oooh: after completing a 360* carpet-bombing with a 15lb flat -rock 4 inches thick:wink: no problem after that!!:tounge_out: Everyone was freaking though ....there were spectators:tounge_out: I couldnt lose a 40$ net to snakes!!!!

19. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    alot of small catfish and carp besides bait fish

20. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Maybe not the strangest but certainly the biggest mess I have ever seen in a cast net - my son threw it over a big - and very unhappy! - stingray! We were able to salvage the lead weights from what was left of the net. :angry: