Caught Fish on Side of Boat

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Oct 6, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The live well in our boat is non-functional. When we catch cats that we want to clean, we put them on a stringer and keep on side of the boat while we are stopped. Do these fish send out messages to their buddies to stay away from us or they will end up in our fryer!! Should we put a cooler in the boat? Not much room. Help :001:

Linda

BE SAFE

2. Shizzam

Shizzam New Member

State:
    Lancaster,Pa.
    Watch out for the turtles lol.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    put a cooler in the boat, clean the ones as you catch them and bag them in the cooler of ice. Use the scrap and guts for bait.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Walter said it in a nut shell. Fish innerads make great bait and chumming juice.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you might want to check regulations where your at before you go cutting up your fish as you catch them,just to be on the safe side.I normaly put mine in one of those wire baskets or stringers and have never had a problem with them scaring any fish away.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I put fish over the side and keep catching.I think you will be fine with your fish over the side of the boat.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like tossing mine on ice. Used to tie them to a stringer over the boat, but I once had a snapping turtle feast on my catch :angry:

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here you can not clean fish on the water you must keep whole and clean at home or somewhere else. bait fish is fine but not any sport fish or any fish with creel limits.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I'd look into keeping them in the boat as well, I've had turtles and snakes both trying to feed on the fish I had on a stringer.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you have time gut them and throw them on ice. On ice not in the water where the ice has melted.