Caught baby catfish while bait fishing, but where are the big ones?

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by da-cajun-angla, Sep 14, 2006.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i slung the net a few times for my lil boy, partially to catch bait, but mostly to catch stuff for him. caught what seems to be some bullhead catfish. the thing is that i've fished the ponds for cats b4 and never caught any. if there are babies, somethin's gotta be makin' em'...i think im gonna go there, put out 3 quickset hooksetters out in 3 different spots, and try again, atleast i can cover more ground with the quicksets. oh, if u google quickset fishing, u can watch a video of these things im talkin about. basically it hooks the fish 4 u...i use em' a lot for my lil boy, cause he hasnt got the whole hook-setting thing down yet. so this way, i can set out 3 poles 4 him, he can play, and when one goes off, all he has to do is pick up the pole and reel em in. best 20 bucks i've ever spent. ya'll think i should try 3 -4 diffent baits. maybe the bait im usin' isnt waht they want...again i think its bullheads... any advice appreciated...thanks in advance.
    shaun

2. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Most I've ever caught has been on night crawlers. The wife caught a small one a couple weeks ago on the Red River below Shreveport. We used to catch quite a few in the rivers and lakes where I grew up in central Louisiana.

Will

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats gotta be one of the neatest things I have heard. Helping a child to catch fish! Thats just super and you are to be commended!------pk powell:smile2:

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would probably bring two baits. Personally I'd bring some Chicken livers and some nightcrawlers and see what happens. Bull heads usually go nuts for those two baits and maybe you'll get lucky and find some other stuff in there. Good luck!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What types of baits were you using there?

I have had my best luck with bullheads on night crawlers, red worms, liver and raw bacon. Good luck.

6. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i've used cut and whole live perch, and worms...and couldn't loose the bait

7. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I think this would be the best bait to use?

Ken

8. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    take a picture of the fish if you catch em again...if you aren't positive they are bullhead you will soon know for sure once you post the picture. If it is bullhead a small chunk of nightcrawler fished off of the bottom is tough to beat. You are making memories for your kid that he will remember for the rest of his life. good job!